Chapter 18

It was a slow night at the hospital. Rachel actually preferred a busy night because at least the time seemed to go by quickly. "What time is it?" Rachel yawned before looking at her watch, "2:37," "Oh my god, four and half more hours then?" "Sounds about right," Rachel replied doodling with a half dead pen.

"Wanna go find a coffee?" Rachel tossed her pen in the direction of the trash can. It hit the rim and skittered across the floor. "Sure," her coworker said, "we can put on a fresh pot in the break room." Rachel picked the pen up off the floor and dropped it into the trash.

"Let's go on an adventure," she said with fake enthusiasm. "Let's head down to the caf!" "I can make just as bad coffee up here for free," Helen laughed, "you must be really bored if you're willing to pay for that dish water coffee down there." Rachel shrugged, "I just need to do something to keep me awake. My treat." She rattled some coins in her pocket. "You can be my cheap date."

Rachel bounced her stack of loonies and toonies in her hand as the elevator took them to the main floor.  The doors opened to an almost deserted lobby.  Marnie sat behind the desk at emerg engrossed in a book.  All the seats but one were empty.  They headed left toward the cafeteria with only the hum of the fluorescent lighting to guide them. 

Helen nudged Rachel as they walked into the cafeteria.  "Look what's on the menu tonight," as she cocked her head toward a table of male doctors and medics.  "See the one with the curly hair," she said raising her eyebrows.  Rachel nodded approvingly, "Nice, so are you guys a thing then?" "No, he never called me again," and they both laughed. 

Rachel paid for their coffees and a Kit Kat to split heading back to the elevator.  "Think anyone missed us?"  Helen shook her head, "I doubt it."  While they were waiting for the elevator doors to open, the main doors opened with a ding.  A man was bleeding profusely from a gash on his head, but that wasn't what had caught Rachel's attention.  It was one of the two police escorts that followed him in. 

The elevator doors opened and Helen stepped inside. "You coming?" she asked putting her hand on the door to prevent it from closing.  "I'll be up in a minute.  Go go," Rachel waved her off.  Helen shrugging let her hand fall from the metal door, "Suit yourself," and disappeared behind the sliding door. 

The police officers were now at the front desk with the bloody man.  Marnie was listening but still had her book in her hand as she began to type.  Rachel was still Arabian in front of the elevator doors when the familiar face looked up and caught her staring.  He said something to the other officer as the bleeding man was escorted to a seat in the waiting room and started walking toward her. 

"Did you get that crock pot fixed?" "It was a standing mixer actually," she smiled.  "Oh I'm sorry, how silly of me."  Rachel shot back, "I'll forgive you this time, just don't make that mistake again."  "So, Rachel," he pointed to her name badge, "are you on a break, or do you just like hanging out in hospitals?" "I just come here for the coffee. 

"You're buddy there seems to be having a rough night." He waved his hand, "Oh him, he's fine, you should see the telephone pole he cranked."  "Oh ouch," Rachel scrunched up her face.  "Don't worry he's too drunk to know he's in any pain."  The group from the cafeteria came out and they had to shuffle out of the way so they could use the elevator. 

"Banks," the other officer called as their charge was up and trying to leave the ER.  "Gotta go," he said turning on his heel to help his partner.  "I'll be back sometime," he winked, "for the coffee."  "Good luck," she called as the drunken man was flanked by both officers and led back to his seat.  She pushed the button and the elevator doors opened immediately and she waved before going in.  Banks picked up the drunken man's arm and waved back.  She covered her mouth as she burst out laughing.  Marnie looked over the top of her book raising an eyebrow at her, but Rachel didn't notice.  She was already out of sight.