THIRTY-ONE

DAISY

DAISY

My phone vibrates and it's taking me a long time to untangle myself from him.
He holds me tight through the night. Kisses my forehead right as I'm falling asleep.

He stirs in his sleep and I pause. My phone stops vibrating for a second and then it goes off again.
I grab my phone and walk right into the bathroom. Taking the call.

"Hey, Bobby." I could hear his smile through the phone, "How's my little Jade?" I smile wide, keeping my voice, "I'm good. How are you? How's Jenny?"

"She misses you." Then he takes a long breath. "I miss you too. Come over, please. I'm worried, baby." I laugh nervously and he catches on, "Daisy?"

"I might not be in the same place..."

"Where the fuck are you?"

"In another country."

"What the fuck are you doing in another country? Where are you exactly?"

"South Korea. Seoul. Gangnam."

"Fuck. How the fuck did you went from staying at a man's house to staying in another country?"

"Listen, it's okay. I'm okay—"

"The fuck you are! Daisy, you listen to me right now. And you better answer everything with utter honesty. Do you hear that, young lady?"

"Yes."

"Good girl." I wait for the list of questions. "Are you safe?"

"Yes, sir."

"Are you in danger?"

"No, sir."

"Daisy, are you lying to me? You know I can catch your little lies. You have too many tells for a father like me."

"No, sir."

"You swear on me?"

"I swear on everything that is rainbows and sunshine's like Jenny's soul."

That gets him to break his hard exterior, he snorts and then chuckles slightly. His voice fills something warm in my chest. Then he sighs, "Baby, I'm just so worried. I need you back here where I know you're safe. I need Kevin back here. I just miss both of my babies." Then he mutters to himself, "I should've grabbed my rifle and got you back home the next day when you told me what you and Kevin got yourself into."

"Were you thinking of shooting?"

"If it means both my babies would be safe and sound in my house, yes."

"And you would've gone to prison."

"With a damn smile on my face."

"Bobby— we talked about this. No fantasies of shooting. You're too old for prison food."