Without Shellington

Shellington sat down, overwhelmed by emotions.

"Alright," said Dashi. "In this world... Let's just watch some clips." She pressed some buttons, fiddled with the volume control, and switched off the lights for better screen viewing.

***

A beautiful day. Sun streams through water and kelp. Birds call gently to a baby sea otter, who opens his eyes slowly. ("Awww, you were so cute when you were little," Dashi said to her boyfriend, who was blinking back tears) The sea otter looks like he just remembered something, and happily sits up from where he was floating on top of the water.

"Mummy! Pearly!"

"Yes dear," says a Scottish voice from below. "Is it morning already?"

Baby Shellington is joined by Pearl, who is several years older.

"Yes Mum. It's time for Shelly's first diving lesson!"

"Oh yes! Sorry, I forgot about that! Well, I'll be there in five minutes. Why don't you and your brother do some breathing exercises before we start?"

Pearl looks at her brother.

"Okay Mum. Now Shelly follow me."

At the surface of the water, Shellington and his sister start breathing in and out deeply. Since Shellington is young, he has some trouble holding his breath and starts to cry.

"Awwww, it's okay little brother. Don't cry."

Pearl hugs her brother (Sounds of dying of cuteness from the audience) and he soon cheers up.

"Okay," says Shellington's mother, coming into the view of the camera. (Now grown-up Shellington is really crying, sobbing as Dashi tries to comfort him) "First up, we'll start with some shallow dives. This place over here is quite nice and shallow. Shellington, I would like you to grab me a rock from the sea floor."

Baby Shellington takes a huge breath and pushes down into the water. However, he returns ten seconds later, empty handed.

"Oh that's okay dear. It took Pearl days to pass the first step."

Shellington bites his lip in frustration and shakes his head firmly. ("Lots of spirit, matey," Kwazii comments) He plunges down again and kicks hard, touching the sea floor and taking a small stone. The natural buoyancy of his fur pushes him up to the surface.

Pearl and Shellington's mother applaud.

"Good job Shelly!" says his older sister.

"Congratulations," says his mother. "Now time for the next step: recognising urchins."

***

Having passed the second step like the first, and the third like the second; the time has come for Shellington's first urchin.

"Alright," says Pearl. "Remember what you're looking for. Urchins. Not crabs or anything. Not stones. Urchins."

Shellington nods with a little salute ("Always were a little trouper," nods the Captain) and dives into the water, streamlining himself like he's been told. He goes straight down to the bottom and looks around. Red urchins. He quickly locates one and swims back up to the surface, to clapping and excitement from Pearl and his mother.