CHAPTER ELEVEN

OUR LITTLE SECRET

They had decided to go to the ice cream parlor near Lana's school. A little shop with a charm that was hard to resist. Charles chose this place hoping it would create a joyful memory for the both of them. Quickly ordering their ice cream and finding a table at the corner they quickly sat down.

As Lana enjoyed licking her ice cream cone, her face lighting up with each bitee, Charles risked asking her a sensitive question.

"So Lana, does your mom have any male friends?" He inquired caitikii, testing the waters. His heart fluttered with relief when she shrugged and replied, "no, not really. It's just me and her".

Charles interpreted Lana's response as a tiny sign of hope. He decided to fully immerse himself in the moment. He laughed as Lana excitedly told him stories about her friends in school, and as they talked, the ice cream parlor seemed to shrink, creating a cozy cocoon where father and daughter could be with themselves. It was a taste of what Charles longed for, a glimpse into the beautiful bond that could exist between them.

As they finished their treats, Charles decided to take Lana back to school, but not before extracting a promise out of her.

"Lana, I want you to keep this as our little secret, okay? Just between us. I think it will be our special bond. We'll continue having these adventures and creating memories, but your mom doesn't need to know for now, she might not understand".

Lana looked up at Charles, her eyes filled with innocence and naivety.

"Okay daddy".