CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN

IT'S FINE. I'M NOT SCARED

After regaining his composure, Kathleen watched as Charles sheepishly cleared his throat, his face betraying a mixture of embarrassment and regret. The quiet ambiance of the bakery seemed to amplify the tension that hung in the air. Still, Kathleen refused to let her fear surface, her features remaining composed and steady as she addressed Charles.

"Charles, it's fine. I'm not scared," she said, her face masking the fear deep within her. "Let's talk, okay?" Her words were gentle yet firm.

Reluctantly, Charles nodded, his hands nervously fidgeting in his lap. Kathleen observed him carefully, her eyes narrowing as she took in the sight of a man who had become a stranger to himself. She knew, deep down, that something was profoundly wrong, and it was time for Charles to confront the demons that haunted his soul.

Charles broke the silence, his voice quivering with vulnerability. "I... I'm sorry for... for throwing your chair," he stammered, the weight of his actions hanging heavily in the air. Kathleen's face softened, and she reached across the table, gently placing her hand on his trembling one.

"Charles, it's okay. I forgive you," she replied, her voice filled with empathy. "But there's something more going on here. Something that needs to be addressed." She paused, her eyes searching his face for a flicker of understanding. "You need to see a therapist, Charles. Whatever happened just now wasn't normal, and you and I both know it."

Charles lowered his head, his gaze fixed on the table. He had always prided himself on his resilience and his ability to handle life's challenges alone. But now, faced with his own unraveling emotions, he could no longer deny the truth. Reluctantly, he nodded in agreement, his voice barely a whisper. "I suppose you're right, Kathleen. Lana... she deserves a father who is mentally, physically, and emotionally sound. And for you... I want to do this for you too."

Kathleen sighed, relief washing over her like a cleansing wave.  She hoped beyond measure that this would be the first step towards healing for both his and Lana's sake. With a mix of compassion and pity, Kathleen reached out to embrace Charles, her arms enveloping him in a warm and comforting embrace. He clung to her, his body trembling with a combination of shame and relief.

As they pulled away from each other, Charles smiled weakly, tears glistening in his eyes. "Thank you, Kathleen. Thank you for caring enough to say something, and for being there for me right now."

Kathleen smiled warmly, her heart overflowing with compassion. "You don't need to thank me, Charles. It's going to be alright."

With that, Charles stood up, a newfound determination etched on his face. He looked at Kathleen one last time before making his way towards the door. Kathleen stood in the bakery, her mind buzzing with a mixture of relief, hope, and a tinge of anxiety as she contemplated what the future holds.

As Kathleen watched Charles disappear from view, a sense of anticipation and uncertainty enveloped her. She knew that the path forward was uncertain, but she also knew that she had made the right choice advising him to seek help.  With that she took a deep breath, straightened her back, and continued to clean her bakery.