The Betrayals by Bridget Collins

Back of the book

At Montverre, an exclusive academy ticked away in the mountains, the best and brightest are trained for excellence in the grand jeu: an arcane and mysterious contest. Leo Martin was once a student there, but lost his passion for the grand jeu following a violent tragedy. Now he returns in disgrace, exiled to his old place of learning with his political career in tatters.

Montverre has changed since he studied there, even allowing a woman, Claire Dryden, to serve in the grand jeu's highest office of Magister Ludi. When Leo first sees Claire he sense an odd connection with her, though he's sure they have never met before.

The bond between them is strengthening: but both Leo and Claire have built their lives on lies. And as the legendary Midsummer Game draws closer, secrets are whispering in the walls...

My thoughts

Anecdote time: When I first saw this book on the shelves in store, I rushed to buy it thinking this would be a continuation of the world and story in her other novel the Binding. I blindly went into reading this looking for a connection to the other universe. This added to my first-time reading confusion. Alas, this book is an entirely different world and setting, but it is still written in the same magical, poetic tone.

This review is hard to write about, because I can barely put into words the Grand Jeu, and therefore what this book is about.

As I mentioned, I love Collins' writing style, although the Binding is still my favourite, but that could be more because of the stunning gay love story. I love gay love. And that one was torturously beautiful, traitorous and they won against all the odds in the end.

Reading The Betrayals a second time was much easier to follow each of the characters paths, because I knew who was whom. The first time the revelations took a while to piece together, and I preferred the lesser confusion I had this time round. I guess I am used to reading "easy" books that I don't have to work at while reading. Mysteries aren't for me I guess? Not that this was a mystery. The title "Betrayals" is all the foreshadowing you need.

I wasn't a huge fan of the open ending, despite the hopeful tone. I guess I like it more than if everything had been wrapped up in a neat little bow because sometimes those endings don't feel as genuine as leaving certain aspects unresolved.

Overall this is a beautifully crafted book with the intersecting character POV's paced perfectly for the reveal of each betrayal. The threads of deceit are woven perfectly that everything falls into place naturally, nothing feels forced or strained or too convenient. I look forward to reading what Bridget Collins is writing next.