Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros

Back of the book

Everyone expected Violet Sorrengail to die during her first year at Basgiath War College – Violet included. But Threshing was only the first impossible test meant to weed out the weak-willed, the unworthy and the unlucky.

Now the real training begins, and Violet's already wondering how she'll get through. It's not just that it's gruelling and maliciously brutal, or even that it's designed to stretch the riders' capacity for pain beyond endurance. It's the new vie commandment, who's made it his personal mission to teach Violet exactly how powerless she is – unless she betrays the man she loves.

Although Violet's body might be weaker and frailer than everyone else's, she still has her wits – and a will or iron. And leadership is forgetting the most important lesson Basgiath has taught her: Dragon riders make their own rules.

But a determination to survive won't be enough this year.

Because Violet knows the real secret hidden for centuries at Basgiath War College – and nothing, not even dragon fire, may be enough to save them in the end.

My thoughts

I loved this book, perhaps even more than the first one, as I feel the plot is stronger with more actionable events (versus constant death threats, although they still feature). The plot also has a few bombshells to drop which I loved, then proceeded to re-read the two books AGAIN to scour them for foreshadowing and secret moments I might have overlooked.

What let this book down (it didn't dampen my enjoyment, but I'm being critical here) was Violet and Xaden's dynamic. Their predicament was drawn out, clumsy, repetitive, and inorganic. I understand that characters disagreeing with each other is more interesting than getting along, but their argument was the same every weekend. I also don't think it's very difficult to avoid having sex with someone you don't trust, so I was very critical of Violet's 'warring sides'. Even though Violet is constantly arguing about trust, she continues to believe every word that comes out of Xaden's mouth, to her continued detriment.

Xaden also comes off as a douchebag quite often so Violet's 'head over heels' act for him seems a bit shit when he has moments of pure toxicity. I feel Yarros tried to make Violet a feminist "I don't need no man" vibe woman who doesn't slut shame and could spot toxicity and stay away from it, but fails actioning this. I am glad that Dain was never a romantic consideration in this book, because that would never fit well in the story considering how forced it felt the first time round. I do like their tentative steps back towards friendship though.

Speaking of Violet's friends, they all seem two-dimensional. Including Xaden, who is meant to be complex, kind and loving to Violet but cold and mean to everyone else. I don't find that kind of two-faced attitude attractive in anyone but damn I do love reading about a bad boy. The character building in general is flimsy as I don't feel strongly connected to any of the characters. This is convenient since they tend to die off quite often. Violet constantly says she is upset by the deaths occuring around her, but as a reader I don't feel any of it. We are told instead of shown the emotions, so they aren't very powerful.

Adarna's arc in this story was...not great. Firstly, she stops being a character in the story while entering the dreamless sleep. Then she comes out of that as a grumpy, bordering on cruel 'teenage' dragon. Her absence continues due to the wing injury. I don't see a huge purpose to the wing injury other than to continue her status as a juvenile that can't participate and keeping her out of the main story. I understand it will have implications later with the not-bearing-a-rider sitch (my bets on she will carry Violet some point in the future). The one part I did like was her being a seventh species of dragon that hasn't been seen for a long time. That was cool plot twist.

One other gripe I have was the classism, or perhaps elitism of the dragon riders compared to infantry, and fliers (compared to everyone really). Violet herself was complicit in extending these harmful attitudes and arrogance. I understand the dragons being arrogant and immovable that they are the best, but the humans should have more respect for each other. I would have liked to have seen at least one character represent a reasonable voice for not hating or looking down on others for not being riders.

I completely ate up the two Xaden plot twists at the end of the book and am very excited for what comes next. Honestly, I kinda want Violet to leave Xaden or kill him or something else epically horrible and difficult instead of love finding a way. Perhaps I am just cruel at heart, fed up with their bickering and want their love to end. But also I can't see a logical and reasonable way through Xaden being venin.

Highly recommend a read for fans of sexy fantasy with female lead characters. Violet isn't your typical badass but she tries. I know I pointed out all my gripes with this book, but none of those lessened how much I enjoy this series. I read both books TWICE within two weeks because I simply couldn't get enough.

TL:DR

Epic second book to the first, plot is much stronger with lots more action. Xaden and Violet are frustrating but the jaw dropping plot twists are worth it.