Tagalong

I don't know what expected when I met up with Ponyboy that next day. I guess I expected to get to know him on my own but of course, I was wrong.

"You know, you didn't have to come along." I played with my fingers as I spoke. I moved my pointer finger forward and backward over and over in a calming pattern.

"Dumb of you to think we'd let you go anywhere alone," Curly replied, rolling his eyes at me like my sentence was the stupidest thing he'd ever heard. My brothers figured I couldn't be trusted on my own. They thought it wasn't safe for me. Tim especially thought I was too innocent and naive, "Besides, Ponyboy is my buddy."

"Right, because you guys have a great track record for doing smart things together. How's the cigarette burn healing?" I teased with a smirk. I knew it had scarred and that Tim had practically whupped Curly into next week

Curly didn't answer immediately but rather shoved me to the side. It wasn't that much of a shove though. I've seen him actually shove people as hard as he could and send them flying. This was more of a not so friendly warning push. Nothing strong enough to knock me off my feet but enough to throw off my balance.

"Don't make me kick your ass." Curly warned as he tried to don as intimidating kind of look. Well it probably would've been more intimidating if I was actually looking at him. Even so his threat made me laugh a bit. It would've scared most other people I guess but it was hard when someone who was afraid of hurting you too bad threatens you.

"Oh no I'm terrified," I responded, knocking my shoulder with his. My impact barely made him move which wasn't surprising. I was smaller than he was. "That was sarcasm by the way."

"Yeah, I'm aware, Ray." He rolled his eyes once more but I couldn't sworn I saw a smile on his face. He usually had one when we hung out. We got along real well being twins and all.

The walk to the lot was a slow one. I wasn't sure why we hung out there so much. It wasn't like it was anything special. It was just an abandoned construction site. Greasers didn't have too many hangouts though. Sure there was Jay's and The Dingo although I wasn't exactly supposed be at those places at least not alone. They weren't very safe either.

As Curly and I came up on the Lot, I could see Ponyboy sitting on the grass reading. A few questions flew through my mind, many being what he was reading and did he like it? Other ones were curious about if his older brothers trusted him to be out on his own. I know my brothers sure didn't. Maybe he didn't listen to what they said. Maybe I oughta start doing that.

Curly was fast to greet Ponyboy and I lagged behind a bit. I watched my hands flap for a minute before forcing myself to stop by pinning one hand with the other. People stare when I couldn't control my hands. I didn't want Ponyboy to stare at me. Although when he turned to me, he didn't stare, he smiled. Like he was happy to see me.

"Hey," Pony said with his light voice. I lifted my head a bit and smiled back. His sight stayed before he pulled his eyes to Curly instead, "What do you guys wanna do?"

Curly answered before I could even get the words to sound right in my head.

"Cause some trouble. The guy at the Five and Dime doesn't notice if you lift a thing or two." Curly said as he started to lead the way. Ponyboy and I were quick to follow him. Curly had that kind of energy to urged you to follow him. It wasn't as strong as Tim's energy but it was close.

"I don't know, Curly. I can't get in trouble with the cops." Ponyboy replied as he caught up to Curly on his left side while I took his right.

"Don't be a pussy, Pones," Curly said, his voice a little harsh. It was interesting watching how fast he could switch up especially when he wasn't talking to me. "-'sides if you work fast, we won't get caught."