Aces High

Trees flew past the window as Tim drove well beyond the speed limit. There weren't many cops out near town limits so it was easy for him to get away with it. Tim tapped his fingers against the wheel as an Elvis song played on the radio. I wasn't the biggest fan but I didn't mind him too much. I was used to hearing him everywhere anyway so it wasn't much of a change.

Tim started talking to me as I kept my eyes trained on the objects passing by. I found staring out the window to be calming.

"You remember the rules?" Tim asked, his eyes flipping over towards me. He wanted to make sure I was listening to him and I was.

"Don't talk to no one. Don't look at anyone. Stay close to you. Don't cause any trouble. Don't let them know what we're doing." I named off like clockwork. This wasn't the first time nor would it be the last.

"Good girl." He praised and rubbed my head. It felt a little condescending although I did enjoy the touch.

Tim was driving us out to one of the many bars near the city limits of Tulsa. They played high stakes poker and pool, offering a good amount of money. Tim brought me along for one reason only, to count cards. It wasn't like I was a prodigy or nothing. I was just good at math and detecting patterns within the system. Tim liked to use that so once a month or so, he'd take me with him to these places. He'd sit me on his lap and have me count cards while I tapped his legs and gave him signals.

I should've been proud to do it. I was helping him. Tim and the gang only made so much from selling drugs and that usually went right back into getting more to keep it going and paying off some dangerous people. What was left wasn't enough to cover the mortgage not to mention putting groceries or bills on top of that. Our Ma and stepdad hardly did jack shit so it was up to Tim. Well sure our stepdad had a job but there wasn't always enough left over after he blew it on booze or drugs.

I hated doing this though. All of this. Not because I felt guilty about taking money. It was because I had to exaggerate my disability. Act like I was how everyone thought I was. If people looked down on me and thought little of me then we wouldn't get caught. Tim's plan of course and what else was I supposed to do besides go along with it?

Tim must've noticed my mood because he brushed the curls out of my face as his eyes went back to the road.

"Don't worry, babygirl. Everything will be alright and when we win, I'll buy you a stuffed animal. Okay?" He tried to speak softly with a gentle tone but he couldn't stop his roughness from coming through. I didn't even want a stuffed animal. I mean I like stuffed animals but it wasn't exactly a fair trade. Nor did I like him treating me like a baby. Even so I nodded.

"Okay, bubba." I pulled out my childhood nickname for him. He'd never admit it but I knew he liked it. It kept him calm as we didn't need his temper blowing up tonight. It'd ruin everything.

The outside of the bar was crawling with guys who set off immediate warning bells in my head. They were swapping stuff around. I couldn't see what but I could assume it was drugs. Tim parked the car and got out with me following him. He was quick to grab my hand and pull me closer. This place was dangerous and the guys were looking at me like a wolf looks at its prey. That wasn't assuring in any sense of the word. Even so Tim and I had done this a few different times before at different bars, I still couldn't help the odd swirling that occurred in my stomach.

The bouncer at the door, eyed Tim and I. Tim was a couple years short of turning twenty one and I looked twelve rather than fifteen. Although a baggie full of cocaine and some money was enough persuasion to let us in. The second we stepped inside, I could tell this wasn't a classy joint. Not like I had ever been inside one but I had read enough books to the point where my brain could imagine one. I was also pretty sure a classy place didn't have bullet holes in the floor and wall, broken glass, or a fight happening in the corner.