Chapter 4

"Ser Steffon won't accompany me to Winterfell?" You ask your mother. It feels like another strike in the gut. Steffon Darklyn has guarded you since you were a child. Apart from your family, he is your closest friend.

"He is a part of my Queensguard. He must be with me or..." You know why she trails off. Her or her heir are the words she is looking for.

"Jacaerys." You finish the thought for her and you hate the undertone of jealousy in your voice.

"You may take as many of your handmaidens as you like and we will find more than suitable guards for you. I would never allow you to be not well accompanied." She is trying to be reassuring but it is to no avail.

"Then I shall have nobody to care for me in the North?" You regret the words as soon as you say them because you know what her response will be.

"Your husband will care for you." It doesn't make you feel better. You don't want the demeaning care from a forced spouse. You desire care from the man who has been like a second father to you.

"I want Ser Steffon." You say, your tone almost desperate.

"It wouldn't be proper."

Improper or a waste of resources? You wonder to yourself.

"You will be protected." She reassures.

"It isn't about that." It's about everything that is being torn away from you.

"Help me to understand, sweet girl." She sounds just as desperate.

"Why did you have to send me so far away, far enough to isolate me?" You ask softly.

"I promise I thought your match through. Cregan gives you control. Putting you in the North gives you a role, not to be a tool to create an alliance, but to be a Targaryen presence so far from the throne. You will be in a position of great influence if you can gain your husband's trust." She seems serious but you aren't sure if she is just trying to make you feel important when you aren't. Though, it works. "If you wanted to stay close, we would have likely had to betroth you to Aemond." You cringe at that. You were close to Aemond when the two of you were younger but there is such strife between you now. You're sure he hates you. "He wouldn't allow you the same level of freedom."

"I know that." You sigh. "I require a moment to collect myself, your Grace." You give her a nod of respect before leaving, Ser Steffon trails after you. He knows what the topic of discussion was.

You let the tension stew in silence between the two of you before you decide to speak up. "What am I supposed to do without you?"

"You are a woman grown, princess. I know you will excel in Winterfell." He says and you turn to face him.

"But i'll miss you."

"I am flattered deeply and truthfully, I will miss you also." He says tenderly.

"Well then perhaps if you told the Queen you wished to accompany me..." You trail off, knowing your suggestion is silly.

"Princess..." He says in a certain way and you can sense the pity. "There is something that may make you feel better, though."

"And that would be?"

"My nephew, Robert, has just recently been knighted. He is by no means a seasoned knight but I had a great influence in raising him when he was younger. He is a good man and a fearsome warrior.  Mayhaps having him as a guard could bring you some sense of comfort?" Steffon suggests.

"That is a splendid idea. I should like to meet him. Now." You reply, feeling almost happy at the prospect.

"Now? Of course, princess. I believe he is training in the courtyard." He tells you and you immediately begin to make your way there.
When you arrive at the courtyard, you notice that there's more than a few men training, Aemond and Criston included, who you ignore.

"Point him out."

Steffon describes Robert and where he is but when your eyes fall upon him, the description doesn't do justice. Robert is handsome, lean and strong with hair as black as tar and piercing green eyes. He fights with ease and elegance, not relying on brutish strength. You decide that he will be more than fun to have around. When Robert wins his fight, you clap for him. He notices the sound because he didn't expect eyes to be on him when the dragon prince is fighting.

"Princess." He bows as you walk over, his competitor stumbling into a bow as well.

"Your highness, I introduce you to my nephew, Ser Robert Darklyn."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Ser Robert." You say with a little smirk.

"The pleasure is, of course, all mine." He is clearly trying to stay confident but you can detect a hint of nervousness in his voice.

"You are a very skilled fighter." You haven't seen much but you've already decided what you want. You trust Steffon's judgement. "And I am in need of a new guard."

"Thank you, princess. I appreciate the recognition." He manages to stay cool and calm. He has an easy way about his demeanour.

"Have you ever been to Winterfell?" You ask him.

"I haven't been anywhere." He replies, a man in need of something to free him from the monotony of being a second son.

"Perhaps you would like to come with me to Winterfell then, as my personal guard?" You ask him bluntly.

"I am honoured by your offer, your highness. I would like nothing more than to protect you in your new home." He can't seem to stop himself from smiling. For a man who seemed to be so stoic, the smile suits him.

"Good because we leave in three days. I apologize for the short notice but I wasn't given much time to prepare for this change of plans." You give Ser Steffon a pointed look.

Robert Darklyn has little time to respond before you turn on your heel, wanting to make sure you have everything you need for your travels. As you walk back to your chambers, you strike up conversation with Steffon again.

"I expect you to write to me. Perhaps once a week. Just to be filled in on how my brothers fair of course." You say to him but you both know that all you want is to hear from him as much as possible.

"I think twice a week would be more appropriate. Your brothers do get up to lots of mischief and whatnot." He says with a hint of a smile on his lips.

"I think that would be for the best as well." You speak, a small smile on your face as you arrive at your chamber's door. He holds it open for you. "Oh and one more thing, Ser... If I die in Robert's care, I'll kill you." He smirks at that.

"He's a much better knight than I was at his age. I promise the two of you will get along well."
"Hmm." You say, thinking about Ser Robert... very handsome Ser Robert. "I think we indeed will."