Chapter 5

A private carriage. You thank the gods for small victories. Being locked in a small box for a month with nobody but Cregan Stark for company would've been the thing that pushed you over the edge of insanity. Or, you likely would have killed him.

Perhaps it was more his safety they are concerned over rather than my comfort. You think to yourself.

The preparations for your departure have been immensely extravagant and your mother has already commissioned ten new dresses and five nightgowns just to tie you over until the royal family flies in for the wedding. You'll spend another whole month courting Cregan (in Winterfell this time) before the ceremony and you don't know if you want the spectacle to be drawn out more to prolong your unmarried freedom or if you just want it to be over with.
You ignore the thoughts as you make your way down to the courtyard with Baela and Rhaena on each arm and Ser Robert trailing after you.

"I'm going to miss you awfully." Rhaena says sentimentally.

"You'll have to write to me with every bit of court gossip. Gods know that the boys won't do a very good job at keeping me filled in." You roll your eyes dramatically, trying to keep it all lighthearted.

"You'll write to us plenty as well, tell us all about the joys of marriage." Baela says with a little smirk.

"I hardly believe there'll be many joys to rave about." You say with a scoff.

"I wouldn't be so sure. From what i've heard, northern men are very good with... their tongues." The elder twin says scandalously. You think you hear Ser Robert choke on water from behind you.

"Baela!" Rhaena scolds but she giggles too.
"I don't want his tongue anywhere near me." You say as you shoot her a glare.

"Then you are as dumb as you are pretty." You roll your eyes at this.

"His assumed skills don't matter if I do not like him." You say primly.

"You don't have to like him to appreciate the look of him." Baela says as she lifts a hand to inspect her nails.

"I agree. You know what they say about men with large hands..." Rhaena trails off and you glare at her as well.

"Do not ally your forces against me." You say.

"We are only trying to help you to look on the bright side. You'll be with him for the rest of your lives." Rhaena says softly. It's a thought that you don't really want to think about.

"Perhaps after I give him a son, we will become estranged and he will allow me to retire to Dragonstone." You reply wistfully. The twins exchange a look.

"And what of your son?" 

You sigh and say, "Any child I have will be his, not mine."

"But they will also be Valyrians. They could be dragonriders. They will need a Valyrian to teach them." Baela says. The idea of a child with a dragon, not knowing its history, not knowing how to care for it, is a sad thought.

"Motherhood is as noble a path as any." Rhaena says, in an attempt to make you feel better.

"Not if it's forced."

There is an awkward silence after that and you feel bad, being the one who caused it. Your closest friends, your sisters, they only wanted to comfort you, to make you excited about the journey and you've made them feel bad for trying.

"I do quite like some of the dresses her Grace commissioned for me, though." You say with a little grin and both of the girls light up.

"Oh yes, they're all so beautiful. I don't know if I could even pick a favourite." Rhaena gushes.