The Barrier and the Train

James gave up on sleep when he woke up for the third time at 5:45. Treading lightly down the stairs as to not wake his parents, he intended to go over his school textbooks because he had yet to even crack the first page on some. James felt embarrassed about this, especially compared to Lily who was bragging about how she had them all memorized.

He only made it past the first 2 pages of Hogwarts: A History before he gave up. Turning to the 3rd chapter a Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration, James resumed his initial interest in the class. The interest only grew to fascination as he read on. He had listened to Lily gush about Potions and Charms and Defense Against the Dark Arts and every single subject enough to predict that she'll be pretty good at everything. Show those purists, James thought absently as he read.

He, on the other hand, felt as though he had no passion besides Gryffindor and Quidditch. That was until he opened the assigned Transfiguration book, merely curious about the cover and wondering if he could also turn someone into a lamp (particularly Petunia for James was still furious about yesterday).

Suddenly, he found himself engrossed in the fundamentals of altering the atoms and the changing of animal DNA and the pronunciation for peculiar spells. 

When Fleamont Potter yawned down the stairs in the process of getting his morning coffee, he stopped short when he discovered his son immersed in Chapter 13: Turning Teacups.

"Mimi?" he used the nickname reserved for his wife who was just coming down behind him.

"What?" Mia Potter groaned, rubbing her face in exhaustion. Similar to his son, Fleamont Potter had difficulty falling asleep due to the anticipation and had roped her into long, hypothetical discussions on what house James would end up in. She had debated numerous times on whether or not to just put a silencing charm on him.

"Look," her husband whispered incredulously. Mia's own eyes widened for aside from the abundance of muggle comics, she had never seen James read a book so attentively. 

Fleamont peered to see the cover and let out a slight sound of annoyance.

"Damn! He's reading Transfiguration!" he cursed hushly.

Mia rolled her eyes. They each hoped James would take up their favorite subjects, her's being Charms and Fleamont's being Defense Against the Dark Arts. Clearly one of them cared a lot more than the other.

"Not a big deal," she reminded, moving past him. Rustling her son's hair, James looked up in surprise at his mother.

"Would you like breakfast, honey?" Mia asked while silently remarking on how he was already on page 211.

Returning to his book, "Sure," James replied.

Fleamont followed his wife to the fridge, "He's also up before 9 on Summer Break," he quietly acknowledged.

Mia responded in a matched tone, "It's not Summer Break, anymore. Today's the first of September." 

For the fourth time that morning, Lily Evans checked her supply list so that she absolutely had everything. 

"Pewter cauldron, check."

"Bronze scales, check?"

"Three sets of black robes, check."

She also packed some gold hair barrettes and a scarlet sweater in hopes of being sorted in Gryffindor. James had tried his best not to show bias to any house but he was highly unsuccessful and Lily discreetly hoped to be in the same group as him and he seemed confident that he would be a lion.

She had woken up at 7 and had a bundle of nervous energy that she put into meticulously organizing her new trunk down to the last barrette. Lily also styled and unstyled her hair multiple times, striving to find the perfect look. When immaculate twin dutch braids were deemed acceptable, she dressed in shin-high white socks, a black skirt that went a little above her knees and a pressed oxford with capped sleeves that she spent forever flawlessly tucking into her skirt before realizing that she had to go to the bathroom.