Chapter 3

Willow's point of view

As the guards chased us, I started to lag behind Mario, not being used to running this much in one day. He had already made it around the next corner before me, and the first thing I saw was the Princess with my brother headed straight for her.

"Princess!" Mario yelled, reaching for her outstretched hand before she grabbed him and threw him over her and onto the ground.

"Mario, are you alright?" I ran past to help him before he nodded to me and turned back to the Princess.

"Princess, I-" He was interrupted by guards jumping onto him and surrounding the both of us.

I raised my hands and closed my eyes, prepared to get tackled, too, until the Princess said, "Wait. Release them."

The toads all got off him, but not without one kicking him first and the rest giving us both warning glares.

The Princess looked at us in shock before asking, "Woah. are you. No. They are both human! I mean, you guys are human, right? It's just you are both so small and-" she said, touching our arms and noses before grabbing Mario's hat and lifting it.

"Hey!" Mario says, trying to grab it by jumping.

"Wait, wait, wait. Let's go back. Where did you two come from?" The Princess asked us, putting Mario's hat back in his face instead of on his head.

He readjusts it while I explain, "Our brother, Luigi, and us fell down this green pipe."

"And now he's lost somewhere in the Dark Lands." Mario finishes.

"Then it's only a matter until he's captured by Bowser." The Princess said, causing Mario and I to turn to each other gravely before she continued, "But you're in luck. I'm on my way to stop him."

"Well, take us with you," I said to her.

"This guy's a lunatic. A psycho. He will eat you both for breakfast. He won't even notice it probably, 'cause you're both very, very small." She said to us with exaggerated hand movements on the lunatic part.

"You know what? Make fun of us all you want, but you're gonna help us find our brother." He demanded before adding in, "Please?"

She looked uncertain before smiling and said, "Well, okay. Let's see what you're made of," before walking off down the hall.

"Is that a "yes"?" I asked, confused before following after her.

"No. That's a "Let's see what you're made of,"" She said calmly.

The next thing we knew, she opened two big doors that showed we were behind a waterfall.

The waterfall then opened up while the platform under us separated from the castle to fly forward towards the edge where the lake's water was below.

Mario and I looked over the railing, wondering what would happen next, before seeing a yellow block with a question mark rise out of the water and up above, causing it to block the sun from how big it was. The blocks then all separated from each other and flew apart to create a complex-looking training course.