Small Town

To say Transylvania was a small town compared to any place in Italy I had lived in or any place in England was, simply put, an understatement. People knew people. If there was business that was someone else's, everyone else knew. Us, being newcomers, were the talk of the town. In a language that only Pearce seemed to completely comprehend.
We minded our own and stayed out of trouble. We unpacked our belongings and made our new home more comfortable than I thought would be possible. Transylvania, for all of its cold weather and people who seemed suspicious, was actually more welcoming than many places. And, to be honest, who wouldn't be suspicious of individuals that were really only seen at night time.
I was quietly reading a book by the fireplace. We had fed on some wildlife to avoid too much suspicion when I heard a knock on the front door. I blinked and looked at the door with slight confusion. After a certain time went by, there was another knock. Obviously, someone was at the front door. I marked my page, stood up, and walked over to the door, opening it to reveal an eighteen year old male with inky black hair, dark blue eyes, and pale skin.
He said something in Romanian, which I didn't understand and waited for a response. I gave him a polite smile and remained silent. He seemed to realize that I had no idea what he had said. Quickly, he became thoughtful, trying to find the words that I might understand.
There were more words that I didn't comprehend. He took note, frowned slightly, and tried to speak English.
"Yes, I speak English," I responded when he asked in very halting, horribly butchered English. I couldn't help but sympathize. I had been like that. On occasion, I still was. My response was met with a stare that let me know he was processing my reply.
"May... come in?" He questioned after a minute.
"Of course," I answered and stepped aside to let him in. He entered our home, and I closed the door behind him to keep the cold outside, rather than letting it come inside.
"Name... Draco," Draco told me, introducing himself.
"Priest," I said.
It took him a moment, as well as me, to realize that I had called myself Priest, rather than my actual name.
"Priest?" Draco repeated.
"Everyone here calls me that," I clarified. He didn't understand what I had said, even though he attempted to. "Yes, Priest," I sighed. He studied me after a few moments.
"You... live yourself?" Draco inquired, deciding to change the subject of my nickname to something else.
"Umm...," I started, trying to decipher what he was asking me.
"No," I cautiously answered, hoping what he had been trying to ask was if I lived here by myself. "Umm... my... familia," I told him, realizing that I was reverting to Italian because of me being somewhat flustered. The Italian obviously threw Draco off, and he had no idea what the last word said was.
"Family," I stated after some moments to remember the English word for family. He only stared at me, and I was unsure if he understood me anyway.
"Fami?" Draco repeated, the word sounding horrible. It was clear he had never spoken the word family, but he had heard it before.
"Family," I repeated, not sure what would actually happen if I spoke slower or not. Draco only stared at me. "Let me introduce you to them," I said.
He followed me as I headed to the kitchen area, where I knew Allison would be. Tea here was easy to get. Individuals from England found some type of appeal in the wilderness and mountain air. So Transylvania had quite a variety of tea for their English guests. Allison was just taking a sip of her tea as I entered the kitchen, Draco following. She saw Draco and introduced herself when I told her his name.
"Nice to meet," Draco commented, giving Allison a proper English gentleman's greeting. This pleased Allison, and she went off about some form of gossip that Draco had no idea of what was being said. Yet he smiled politely and then reminded Allison that he had no idea of the words by saying something in Romanian. The result was mildly jarring, even to me. I had forgotten that he didn't understand English too well because of his polite smile and silence.
I recovered slightly quicker than Allison and ushered Draco to the living room, where Joseph and Adrian would be now. Draco dismissed himself and followed me. I introduced him to them. They greeted him, and I found Pearce shortly afterward.
Pearce stared at Draco blankly, nodded a greeting, and went back to what he had been doing beforehand. Draco was silent as well, watching Pearce with an expression I wasn't able to decipher.
"Umm... it was certainly nice to meet you, Draco, but we have to get ready for dinner," I lied. Draco processed what I had said and followed me to the front door. I opened it to let him out and wished him well. He nodded and headed to where I assumed his home was.
Something no longer seemed right about Draco. If Pearce's reaction or lack of a reaction was anything to go by, Draco wasn't exactly who or what he let on to be. Neither were any of us, but Draco and Pearce seemed to potentially know one another.
This was a small town, and Pearce more than likely wouldn't divulge that information. So, in a town where everyone knew everyone, I could ask around. If I could manage to stay awake through the day.