Chapter 8: Stepping on Toes

"Can we go back, now?" Nell asked. "I want to see my room and start unpacking"

"Sure, honey," her dad said. He pulled her into his chest and planted a kiss on her head. "I missed you, baby girl."

Boy, he must be relieved she wasn't making a huge fuss over the move. The pet names pouring out like gumballs from a machine! She hadn't directly called him a loser yet. Maybe she wouldn't. Or maybe she'd reserve it for later.

As they walked back to the house. Nell half listened to the adults talking. The program staff—the horse wranglers, arts and craft leaders, lifeguards, naturalists, etc., were going to start arriving next week. The counselors the week after that. A special independent outfit ran the ropes course, which was engaged year-round for private clients who used the camp as a conference center. Ropes courses were perfect for group-building exercises, Fred said, and Nell thought, Sure they are.

The young man Morrie had hired to be his program director would be there tomorrow. Nell knew her dad had tried to recruit a lot of staff from those who'd worked with him in Oregon, enticing them to California with the usual camp professional goodies of room, board, and a miserable paycheck. She wasn't sure how successful he'd been as they hadn't really been speaking. Mom had mentioned that Morrie had been working with the outgoing Morgan camp director, who was retiring to somewhere called Sonoma, to hire the best of his experienced seasonal crew.
"I tell you what, Harte, I had my doubts about this whole...situation, if you get my meaning," Fred was saying. Nell's ears perked up. "You know these young folks, they are pretty set in their ways." Nell almost snorted at the paradox of the statement. "They are," Fred continued. "I mean to say, they are territorial. If you get my meaning."

"I know, Fred, I know." Nell could tell by her dad's tone that this was a tune Fred liked to whistle quite often.

"I'm not sure what you mean?" Her mom asked, all innocence.

"Well, I mean, Mrs. Harte, that some of our staffers have been around a long time. I know they're just kids, but they grew up going to this camp. They feel like...well, they feel like they don't want no outsiders, if you get my meaning."

Sandy nodded. "I think I do. And I know Morrie will make sure they know he isn't stepping on any toes."

Nell's dad chuckled. "Of course not, dear. But I will say, that I'm looking forward to making some big changes around here!"

Fred shook his head. "Now, Harte—"

"Aw, you know I'm full of it, don't you Fred? Fred and I, we get each other. Isn't that what you kids say, Nellie? We get each other?"

"Sure, Dad. Sure."

By now, they had reached the gate of the house. It was unlocked. Nell jogged ahead and into her room. The few things her dad had brought included her mattress and bed. For the last few weeks, she'd been sleeping with her mom in her parents' bedroom. During the days, she had chilled in her own room on a stack of sleeping bags—of course they had a ridiculous amount, way more than they needed—when she had to study or needed to be on her own. She and her mom had been living in a crazy mess of boxes and crap. Studying had been more irritating than usual. Thank goodness she could drive. She'd gotten her license the day she turned sixteen. And now that she'd been driving for a little over a year without any accidents or tickets, she could tell her parents were relieved. They had always trusted her, but now they trusted her with driving, too.

==

Wattpad Fam: Have you ever done a ropes course? More about this in future posts. Thanks for continuing to read FAMILY + CAMP!