Chapter 21 Part 2: Lunch Bunch

"That sounds dangerous. Isn't it dangerous...to travel there?"

He shook his head. "That's a myth. I mean..." Seth paused. "I should say, it's not entirely true or false.. Anywhere is dangerous. California is dangerous. Oregon is dangerous. That's where you're from. Right?"

She nodded.

"I can't live scared. I don't live scared. I just...I find if you move through the world with your eyes open and treat those you encounter with courtesy...well, that goes a long way in keeping you safe."

Nell nodded again. She found Seth to be very wise.

"You're also a guy. That goes a long way too."

He agreed.

"How old are you?" she asked.

"Twenty-six. How old are you?"

"Seventeen."

He nodded. "You'll see. But you're right about being a man. It's not fair, but it's the truth."

She didn't ask why he was so old. Weren't most college graduates twenty-one or twenty-two? But she felt that would be crossing a line when they'd really only just met. There was the whole summer ahead of them.

Someone was watching her. She felt it crawling along her skin, someone's gaze. As she looked up, she was sure that it had been Cashel whose eyes had landed on her for a while. She'd seen the flicker of them darting away. He laughed, however, at something Izzy said, Izzy, who had not stopped talking a mile a minute. Nell wondered if she'd get on Nell's nerves or if Nell could talk herself into embracing this girl as "lovable and quirky." Sure. Sure, she could. She could do it if she really, really tried.

Nell believed in herself. She was her own best cheerleader. And critic.

***

After lunch, they were granted a twenty-minute break. Nell assumed this was to let everyone digest. She watched as small groups of two to five drifted out of the dining hall, chatting, laughing, catching up. A shared history. A few on their own hurried away, probably to digest in peace. After the break, everyone was to convene at the meeting house to officially kick off staff training.

Nell felt self-conscious about being one of those on her own, especially as the daughter of the new camp director. It hadn't just been Cash's eyes she'd felt. Others had bent their heads over their tacos, whispering and glancing her way. Teenagers were not the subtlest bunch. So, Nell hung back a little after leaving the dining hall. That morning, she'd walked with her dad to the pool. Maybe next time she'd take her bicycle. She could get around faster with it to certain parts of the campgrounds. Not to the lake or to horses, not unless she wanted to brave those switchbacks up and down. On the map, there were other ways in and out—from the road that led to the ropes course or from the trails hikers and horse riders used. These led from camp property and into the national park lands that bordered Camp Morgan. The camp had an agreement with the park to use their land for activities. It was boring stuff her dad had to deal with, but she knew it was important because it extended Morgan's programming area.

Hm. If she hurried, she could go home, use the bathroom, grab her bike, and be on time.

Why hadn't her dad given them an hour? Or even half an hour? All she really wanted to do was take a nap. Digest her delicious tacos.