Chapter 11: The Tilneys part 1

As they sat eating their sandwiches and carrots and drinking orange juice, her family talked about—what else?—camp.

"Rob'll be here soon," her dad was saying.

"It'll be good to get him settled," her mom said.

Nell knew, from previous conversations, that Rob Tilney was the new program director. He was the one who would be working for Morrie, running the programs and overseeing the directors of the swim, horse, nature, and arts and crafts programs. He was also in charge of the summer camp staff including the counselors and CITs. Fred had a seasonal staff as well, and so did the kitchen. The pool was not open during the year—same as Fields Creek's pool—so the entire water sports staff was seasonal. And so was Rob. He was apparently newly graduated from college and had majored in parks, recreation, and tourism administration, which is something Nell liked to tell her dad he should consider.

Her dad turned to her. "His younger brother is on the arts and crafts staff. In fact, he's also doing the naturalist gig, so we kind of got a two-for."

"That's amazing," Nell said in her best dry tone.

Morrie narrowed his eyes. "I think so. After they get here, we're all going to say hi, so make sure you're around."

Nell raised her eyebrows. "Seriously? What are we, the royal family? They don't need to meet me."

"We are the royal family," her mom said, raising her own eyebrows. There was no arguing with the eyebrows.

"Fine." Nell bussed her plate and glass, happy to have a reason to leave. "I'll be in my room."

"Thank you, honey!" Her dad called after her.

Nell continued to unpack and set up her room, playing her Violent Femmes tape over and over, her thoughts subdued by the process. About an hour into it, there was a knock at her door.

"C'mon, kiddo," her mom said. "They're here."

Showing any enthusiasm about this was out of the question. But Nell was curious.

The main office, where her dad did all of his official work, was on the other side of the parking lot, a small building that was painted in the same color scheme as the rest of the camp—brown, yellow trim—and wasn't too big, kind of like an oversized shed that had been converted into something more than storage space. It also had a restroom and kitchenette.

Like the royal family (she was digging this comparison), Nell and her mom accompanied Morrie across the gravel. It was mid-afternoon, and the coolness of the morning had worn off, leaving the sun happily shining above them. Nell wore long cut-offs—no Daisy Duke jokes would be made about her attire ever—her flip-flops, and an OSU t-shirt that she had scored at a Goodwill. Nell was getting used to the dry heat—it had always been slightly humid at Fields Creek, but she should really hydrate more. She'd remembered to put on some Bonnie Bell gloss over her chapped lips at least.

Two boys stood outside the office. Both wore hiking boots, t-shirts, and shorts, and they looked like an ad for REI. They were tall with pale skin under their hairy legs, but the dark-haired one was taller. The dirty blond one reached out his hand to Nell's dad.

"Mr. Harte, good to see you again. This is my brother, Cashel."

"You can call me Morrie," Nell's dad said. He shook both of their hands. "Cashel, that's an unusual name."

"It's a town in Ireland my parents like," the boy said with a smile that reminded Nell of someone. Who? His eyes twinkled, and she couldn't catch their color. "Please call me Cash, sir."

"Cash. Got it." Morrie puffed up, impressed by the boy's politeness. He introduced his wife and daughter. "Sandra Wu and Penelope Harte."

This was a test. Would the boys call her mom by her first name or Mrs. Wu? Would they get confused and call her Mrs. Harte?

"Nice to meet you," both boys said in turn. Smart. Avoiding the trap.

"Everyone calls me Nell," Nell said, as if she could care less what they thought about her or her name. She kept her hands in her pockets. There would be no handshaking.

"Rob," Rob said, pointing to his chest. "Robert is what my parents call me when I'm in trouble."

Morrie squinted at him. "You get in trouble, son?"

Rob blanched. Nice one, Dad. "No, sir. Never."

Cash's eyes met Nell's, their smirks matching. She looked away first.

==

Wattpad fam: Of course, if music is mentioned in this story, I've got to try to find the album cover for it. (Thought about illustrating the Daisy Duke reference, but...no. Google it if you don't know it). Violent Femmes: so good!