Chapter 3

Without knowing who killed Yao, the three princes gradually become mad. Prince Yeon soaked in wine daily, waiting for his spies to bring him news. If the spy didn't give any information, he would immediately chop off his head and then look for new spies to find clues for him.

Every day, Prince Tan led a group of soldiers on horseback to patrol the streets for suspicious persons. If he saw anyone suspicious, he killed them immediately. One day, Prince Tan saw a woman wearing a cloak on the street. The woman and the prince meet their eyes and immediately runs away.

"Hey! Stop her!" the prince yells, chasing after the woman.

The woman runs into a narrow alley. The prince jumps down from his horse and follows her. The path is a dead end, and the soldiers block the entrance of the alley.

"Look where you're going!" The prince grabs her cloak, revealing the woman. "Xiao Tao?" Prince Tan stares at the woman. She used to be Yao's maid. "Why are you running?"

"For... Forgive me, your majesty. I... I have something to tell you." Xiao Tao says nervously. "It's about Lady Yao." She looks at the soldiers behind Prince Tan.

Prince Tan signals the soldiers to leave and lets go of her. "Speak."

"I don't know who killed Yao, or who it is who gave the orders, but I do know the past of Lady Yao." Xiao Tao takes a step back from the prince.

"She is my fiancée, and we've known each other since we were infants," Prince Tan grabs Xiao Tao. "Why would I need you to tell me her past? Are you trying to run away?"

"No... No, your majesty... Ple... Please just hear me out..."

"If you dare try to run, my sword will go right through you." The prince let go of her neck.

"Lady Yao found out that her biological father was poisoned to death. She was looking for the truth of why someone would poison her father." Xiao Tao says slowly. "I believe she had found out the answer which is why she got killed in the ceremony."

"Who?" asks the prince.

"I don't know. She told me nothing, but maybe Prince Qin know something."

"Qin?"

"Yes, your majesty."

Prince Tan looks at Xiao Tao with disbelief.

"It is known throughout the country that Lady Yao is engaged to you. But what others don't know is that Lady Yao has a very good relationship with the three princes, especially with Prince Qin." Xiao Tao continues. "My lady and Prince Qin, they had a special thing between them. They would go out together at night, walk under the stars holding hands. They would go to each other's palaces and lean their heads on the table and watch their partner work. They would sleep together on the same bed, and wake up before dawn to go back to their palace so no one would find out the relationship they had. Perhaps my lady would tell Prince Qin what she had found out when they were together."

Prince Tan stares at Xiao Tao, speechless. He feels his head spinning, ears humming, and throat suffocating. It's like the world has stopped functioning.

"Are... are you sure?" Prince Tan finally asks.

"I would never make a joke of Lady Yao, your majesty."

"Who else knows about what Yao did when she was alive and the relationship she had with Qin?"

"Only Xiao Tao, your majesty."

Prince Tan takes a deep breath, "Don't tell anyone, including Yeon."

Xiao Tao nods, and Prince Tan lets her go.