Chapter 4

Prince Tan brings bottles of chrysanthemum wine and two glasses to Prince Qin's palace. Prince Qin's soldiers announce Prince Tan's arrival to Prince Qin.

"Brother Tan. What brings you here?"

"I just want to have a drink with my little brother, that's all. We haven't talked much since... you know... since Yao died." Prince Tan waves the wine at Prince Qin's face. "May I come in?"

"Please." Prince Qin welcomes Prince Tan into his palace and orders his servants to bring the glasses for drinking. Prince Tan cuts him off quickly and shows Prince Qin that he has brought his own glasses.

Prince Tan hands Prince Qin his glass and pours chrysanthemum wine into it.

"Drink, my brother," says Prince Tan, pouring the wine into his own glass.

The two princes sit down and start drinking and chatting until Prince Qin is tipsy.

"I really miss Yao," Prince Tan says.

"I know," Prince Qin replies, "She was your fiancée, of course you miss her."

"What about you, brother?" Prince Tan asks suddenly.

"Of course I do," answers Prince Qin, "Everyone misses her."

"Why do you miss her?"

"We've known each other since we were children." Prince Qin scoffs. "Brother Yeon also misses her."

"Why do you miss her, Qin?" Prince Qin asks again.

"Like I just said, we've known each other sin–"

"You two had a thing, didn't you?" Prince Tan cuts him off.

Prince Qin is stunned. He cannot look at his brother.

"I know everything, Qin."

Prince Qin stares at the table. He cannot look at his brother.

"How long has it been?"

Prince Qin's mouth opens, but no words come out. Prince Tan pours the wine into both glasses.

"You know she is my fiancée, but you still fall in love with her. Is it fun to treat me like a fool?"

"I never see you as a fool," Prince Qin finally says very quietly. "I never dare treat you as a fool." He looks at his brother.

Prince Qin takes a huge gulp of the wine from the bottle, confessing whatever should have been said long ago.

"I loved her, brother, and she loved me! She may be your fiancée, but her heart never belonged to you. She's only your fiancée because you are the oldest prince!" Prince Qin trembles.

"She is my fiancée!" Prince Tan smashes the glass in his hand on the floor. He stands up and yells, "And you are my brother! Out of anyone, you and Yeon should never do such kind of shit of me!" Prince Tan yells.

"Brother Yeon also has a crush on Yao, you know?" Prince Qin says coldly.

"But he didn't betray me like you did."

"Are you sure? He did pursue her, you know? Didn't Yao tell you?"

"Wha–"

"Yao told me. But she has no feeling for him besides family, like you are to her."

"Shut up."

"Yao never wanted to marry you. She agrees to marry you just to repay Father for his nurturing kindness."

"Shut up!"

"But as time went by, she cared more about having a future with me." Prince Qin stands up and looks straight into his brother's eyes. "She asked me if I was willing to run away with her. I said yes."