7 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐡𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐦𝐚𝐬 𝐈 𝐇𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐀𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐖𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝.

__~°~__

𝐶𝒉𝑟𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑚𝑎𝑠 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑘𝑠 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑔𝑙𝑢𝑒, 𝑖𝑡 𝑘𝑒𝑒𝑝𝑠 𝑢𝑠 𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑐𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜𝑔𝑒𝑡𝒉𝑒𝑟. – 𝑹𝒐𝒔𝒊𝒆 𝑻𝒉𝒐𝒎𝒂𝒔.

__~°~__

Paula huddled under the covers, gripped the sheets, and held her breath as the wind brushed past the curtains before dragging herself out of the bed, yawning and stretching, and into the kitchen.

"Hmm," she mumbled behind her mother, savoring the aroma of freshly baked vanilla cookies filling her nostrils.

"Here's your coffee," her mother said and chuckled. "Perfect for the chilly morning."

"Mom, have you noticed the nights are quite short? The wind has gotten worse too," Paula said, shielding her eyes from the intruding sun rays on the kitchen counter close to the window.

"Have I? Well, Christmas is almost here. I can feel it." Her mother chuckled again as she diced carrots. "Please pass the plate, baby."

"Ugh, mom. I'm not a baby anymore," Paula protested, her mouth thinning in displeasure.

"Well, you're a big baby."

"I'm a big girl, mom. Not a baby. Not a big baby. I'm thirteen."

"Thirteen still makes you my baby, Paula. Now don't argue with mommy. Pass the plate."

"Fine." Paula sauntered towards the cupboard and took a porcelain plate.

"Who wants fries?" Mr Rogers ducked to get through the kitchen door.

"Daddy!"

Her father's lips widened in a smile as he embraced Paula and squeezed her in a huge embrace, stroking her hair.

"Paula's been watching TV a lot," her mother reported, not looking away from the sizzling oil.

"It's not true, daddy," Paula said, avoiding her father's gaze.

"Mommy doesn't tell lies," Mr. Rogers pointed out.

"I watch very little, daddy."

"If that's what you do, then your nights won't be short," her mom piped in.

Paula groaned, her lips pressed together and disentangled from her father's embrace.

"All right. Daddy's going to California today for—"

"Not again, father," Paula whined, slamming the door of the fridge in a thud.

"But it's Christmas. Almost Christmas. Why would they send you? How long will you be gone?" Mrs Rogers said, abandoning the carrots and trudging towards her husband.

"Five days," he said.

"Five!" Paula yelled, her brows furrowed.

"Christmas will be over in four days. Please have a rethink, sweetheart. They can send someone else," Mrs Rogers said, worry clouding her voice.

Mr Rogers scratched the nape of his neck as lines of stress formed on his forehead. He gave an uncertain smile. "It's all for the good of the company. I can't fail them."

"Please stay, daddy," Paula pleaded, her eyes shimmering from the formation of tears.

Mr Rogers heaved a sigh. "I'm sorry, Paula. I can't. I promise to get all the goodies for you. I'll get chocolates and—"