14 - 𝐒𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐆𝐥𝐨𝐛𝐞.

__~°~__

𝐶𝒉𝑟𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑚𝑎𝑠 𝑖𝑠 𝑡𝒉𝑒 𝑑𝑎𝑦 𝑡𝒉𝑎𝑡 𝒉𝑜𝑙𝑑𝑠 𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑡𝑖𝑚𝑒 𝑡𝑜𝑔𝑒𝑡𝒉𝑒𝑟. – 𝑨𝒍𝒆𝒙𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝑺𝒎𝒊𝒕𝒉.

__~°~__

Click! Click! Click!

She watched the light around her shut door slowly dim, as the footsteps went past her door and down the corridor.

It was a routine she wasn’t quite used to.

After all, it was only her second month at the orphanage.

Adelle waited a few moments before gently rolling out of the bunk that she shared with another girl. Slowly she made her way to her box, reaching down to the very bottom and pulling out a small wooden box.

Casting one more look behind her and making sure she made no noise, she quickly slipped out of the bedroom, into the corridor and down the stairs.

The room was cold and quiet, but most importantly, it was empty.

She sat on the warm rug near the fireplace, gently setting the box in front of her and opening it. Carefully, she pulled out the small box that was inside.

The box was painted a glossy white colour with gold embellishments on each of its corners and a matching ratchet lever attached to its side.

Carefully, she turned the lever causing the box to slowly open, revealing a snow globe within as a gentle melody proceeded from it.

Around the snow globe, twelve golden angels held hands and danced as they faced a small cottage on the other side of the glass. A small family of three, a man, a woman and a little girl, sat at a table inside the warmly lit cottage as it gently snowed outside it. They could only be seen from the little windows as the globe and the angels spun around and around within the box.

Adelle swallowed a sob that tried to escape.
Christmas was in two hours, and it was her first one without her family.

She set the music box on the floor, watching it play as she lay on the floor beside it.

Surprisingly, it was the only thing that was left after the accident. Maybe because it was strapped to the backseat of the car with her, unlike her parents that were completely crushed by the hijacked train.

Adele envied the little girl inside the snow globe, who had everything she wanted now.

Her eyes shifted to the angels that surrounded the globe.
“I don’t suppose you can bring them back.”

She laughed dryly as a tear fell from her eyes and onto the rug. “Could you at least take me to them?” she begged. Closing her eyes, she whispered, “Please…”

****

Her eyes gently fluttered open as something cold touched her nose.

It was a snowflake.

Something warm gently rested on her shoulders. She looked to discover a green shawl had been thrown over her.

“Don’t catch a cold now, love,” someone said beside her.

Her eyes widened.

That voice.

She turned to face the person beside her. A lump formed in her throat as she realized who it was.