3 - Unstuck

***AGE 13***

"Checkmate."

I revelled in the way Niji's face scrunched up in frustration, leaning back in my seat and lapping up the light applause from my parents, and even Judge, as much as I hated his existence.

"You're cheating." The blue-haired teen growled under his breath, but I wasn't going to let it phase me this time. It didn't take me long to figure out that, as long as I stayed around other people, they wouldn't do anything to me.

"I'd be more than happy to make it four out of six, but wouldn't that be a little embarrassing for you?" I cooed, carefully eyeing the boy's clenched fist on the off chance he'd lose his cool and take a swing.

Before the thought could even cross his mind, a hand laid upon his shoulder, and I looked up to meet the reflection of my own eyes in darkened lenses of shades

"My turn." Ichiji smiled, and I returned it, knowing that things were about to get interesting.

We both knew the extent of our mutual hatred, and longed for nothing more than to tear each other to unrecognisable shreds, but we had images to uphold. A battle of logic and wit would have to do for the time being.

"Sucks to suck." Yonji snickered as Niji switched out with their older brother, earning himself a punch to the arm that would have broken it clean out of the socket if it had been my own.

"Bold of you to say when you wouldn't even play against her." Reiju pointed out, sitting on the lounge beside my mother with a cup of tea hovering over the saucer.
"I fight. I don't play silly little board games." Part of his response was muffled by a fork-full of chiffon cake, but we all got the gist of it.

"Chess isn't a silly little board game. It's strategy." Ichiji made himself comfortable across from me, resetting the game pieces quickly and ensuring that I had the side of white again. "Please, after you, Your Grace."

Sceptical, but willing to bite, I made my first move. King's pawn to E4. It had always been my first move, ever since my father had taught me to play. Without missing a beat, Ichiji moved a pawn to C5, quickly breaking the symmetry of the board.

Good defence, but I'm not surprised.

"Ichiji, I heard you successfully completed your first solo mission. Congratulations are in order." My father roused a new topic of conversation, having never been fond of strong silences.

"Praise isn't necessary, Your Majesty. I'm just glad I can keep growing stronger, so I can protect my one and only." Oh, I could have gagged at his bullshit, but instead I tried to focus on the simpler game at hand.

"You are too sweet, Ichiji. Really. Though, I don't need protecting. I've also been training..." I smiled, matching his acting skills, again moving my piece after he took his turn.
"(Y/N), honey, I wouldn't say shooting bottles with slingshots is on par with Prince Ichiji's intense training..."