4 - Scent

***SIX YEARS LATER***

“A..Aren't you supposed to be getting ready for those assholes to arrive..?”

Bark scraping my back, and leaves tangling through my hair, yet that was the most uncomfortable thing in that moment. Wrapping my legs tighter around jittering hips, I dragged the man closer into myself.

“H..Hah, shut up…” I scoffed, nosing deep into the crook of the man's neck, his earthy scent doing wonders for my nerves. "What, you want me to go get married and never let you have me like this again? Is that it, Corbin? Sick of me?"

Readjusting me between the tree and his hips, the cedar-haired man pressed into me harder, with exactly the gusto I had been wanting for.
"Never..! Oh, God, never..!" He grunted through his teeth, stealing my lips for a passionate kiss.

Was it risky, sneaking away on the very afternoon my betrothed was set to arrive? Yes, very much so, but to hell with him, and his messed up family. I needed to settle my nerves somehow, and this guy was just the ticket.

Corbin and I had known each other for going on nine years now, and whatever our relationship was had been for roughly five of them. Quick, innocent kisses by the river had eventually evolved into hardcore ravaging, just as it had now.

It was convenient, since he worked as a grounds keeper for the palace, but not only that, we cared for each other, deeply. Having him around had made my problems seem less than they actually were.

"Good, n..now don't stop..! I'm close..!" Clinging to whatever I could reach of his skin, I began to lose my breath, shuddering as he ran his tongue from the centre of my chest to my jaw.

"I just, hah, just don't want you to get in trouble...If that Vinsmoke can sense you've been with another man, I-"
"Nope, okay, get out of me. You ruined it, my guy." I slumped in defeat, tapping at his back for him to stop.

Almost whining, Corbin did as instructed immediately, sheepishly setting me down and pouting like a kicked puppy.
"Sorry! Sorry...I just can't get the thought out of my head..."

Could have just left it in your head, but whatever...

Heaving a sigh, I fetched my underwear, which had been carelessly tossed onto the leafy forest floor, and slid them on beneath my skirt.
"They may be coming, but I'm still working on a loophole, or some kind of alternative, so that doesn't mean I'll be marrying that messed up creep."

It had been six years since I had last had the displeasure of meeting the Vinsmokes, and I wasn't at all prepared for what everyone else expected of me.

We were both of age now, so that meant the one thing I had been dreading since childhood. Marriage. I had exhausted myself, trying to convince my parents to back out, or find a better prince to take his place, but my efforts had been fruitless.

Now, as we walked side by side back towards the palace, I was trying to stay composed.

"It would've been so much easier if we were fated. Nobody could refuse nature like that." Corbin sighed, looking up at the rustling canopy, where cracks of sunlight filtered in.
"You'd be surprised. My dad seems to have his head so far up Judge's ass he could see out of the guy's mouth..."

Marrying Corbin would have been ideal. I wasn't completely certain that I loved him, but whatever I felt was close, and we were happiest when together. So many times we had almost gone through with establishing a mark and bond, but chickened out before it happened.

"If any of them cause you any grief, please, tell me. I'm stronger than I look." He halted and took my hands in his just before we rounded the corner, near the back entrance. I didn't have the heart to tell him he likely didn't stand a chance against any one of them, whatever they were.