A past being brought to light

Doctor

"Doctors who is he?" Donna asks me and watches as the Master chuckles.

I sigh and look between them. Donna is one of my favorite companions thus far, but the Master is my best friend since the Academy.

"Donna, this is the Master. Master this is Donna."

"I see that you picked yourself up a new human." The Master says and I nod.

"Why is your name the Master?" Donna asks. The Master chuckles and I sigh as his signature grin makes its way onto his face.

"My name is the Master because that's who I am." The Master says and I roll my eyes.

"Why are you here?"

"I came to see you. I need to talk with you about some what of a private matter."

"Whatever it is, you can say it to both of us."

"I came to say goodbye."

"What?"

"I came to say goodbye, seeing as this is likely the last time that I will see you." The Master says and leaves. I glance at Donna and she looks at me before sighing and running out of the TARDIS and after the Master.

{Outside}

Donna

I run after the Master and grab him by his arm the second I get the chance. He stops and looks at me.

"What are you doing Donna?" He asks.

"I don't know who you are, but I know the Doctor. Whatever the two of you share, you can't just leave him."

"The laws of time keep me from altering the course that I'm on."

"And just what is that exactly?"

"Taking over the world."

"You can change."

"No I can't Donna. I've tried. I've tried for the sake of the Doctor, I've tried for the sake of people like you because you make him happy, and I tried because I don't want to do any of this. I can't stop, I can't do anything about this, other than one thing. I came to say goodbye one final time. While you're his companion, take care of him."

He pulls his arm away from me and walks away again. I walk back into the TARDIS and look at the Doctor as he mumbles to himself about what he has to do in order to stop one of the many things he's encountered over the years.

"Doctor."

"Hmm?" He asks and looks at me.

"How do you know the Master?"

"We went to school together many years ago at the Academy. He was my best friend, and then became my arch nemesis. He's complained of drumming in his head and one day I was able to hear it. A constant pounding of a drum in his head all of the time. The same One, Two, Three, Four, rhythm. Why do you ask?"

"Did you ever love him at some point?"

"What? Why do you ask?"

"Answer the question Doctor."

"At one time, I guess I did. But that was years ago, and things have changed. He's not the same person I grew up with."

"You still care about him Doctor."

"Yes. When I told Wilf a few years ago that he would kill me, and he told me to kill him first. I admitted that I couldn't, that I won't."

"You don't want to be alone anymore."