Chapter 2. A special present.

That afternoon, Moomin and Sniff had ran to the Snorks' house to invite them and My to have a simple dinner at the Moomin's house. Later, they had gone to look for Mymble so she could also say goodbye to Snorkmaiden, as they had grown to be very good friends in the last few years. On the other hand, Snufkin had preferred to go and look for some firewood to the forest for Moominmamma, since the last day she had used a lot for their big party and had almost ran out of it.

Moominpappa insisted on going fishing this time, claiming that it was the head of the family's duty, and he was very lucky to catch a decent fish even when he had fallen asleep waiting for any of these to take the bait.

All through the day, Moominmamma had prepared everything: she had baked a delicious vanilla sponge cake and covered it in lemon frosting with raspberries as decoration. She had also managed to draw with pink frosting a few ribbons here and there and she had put small seashells all around the base of the cake.

Along the fish as the main course, she had prepared a slight leek soup and toasted some bread dice in butter that would serve as toppings for it.

A few moments before dinner time, Moominmamma and Moominpappa received Snork and Snorkmaiden with a hug. The older brother carried a small bouquet of flowers from their garden that Snorkmaiden had deliberately chosen for the occasion and Moomin put them in a vase and set it in the middle of the dinning table, which had been taken back to the dining room.

Mymble came a little bit later with a small present for Snorkmaiden. She was also received with warm hugs and smiles.

They all went straight to the dinningroom and Moominpappa decided that the best possible way to start was to make a toast, so once all their cups were filled with apple juice, he spoke.

'Oh, how fast time flies and how the young must eventually do so. Snorkmaiden has granted us with her fairness, a loving heart and a brave character throughout the years. This adventure will take you to distant lands while you'll remain in our memories. May it be enlightening and brings precious gifts to your life. To Snorkmaiden!'

'TO SNORKMAIDEN!' cheered all of them and drank from their cups.

'Oh, Snorkmaiden! Little My have already told me all about your trip. How lucky you are!' exclaimed Mymble, who was sitting next to her.

'I still can't believe it. I'm sure it will all seem like a dream to me' replied Snorkmaiden.

'Oh, believe me when I say that it certainly will! The islands of the south are not a very common destination and only the privileged had enjoyed of their capricious orography, their profound green and blue water springs and their large and splendid hydrangeas' explained Moominpappa.

'And has Mrs. Pallion been to those islands before?' asked Moomin.

'Mrs. Fillyjonk said that she actually has a summer house in the biggest of these islands. She has also got a luxurious yatch to explore the rest of them' explained Snorkmaiden.

'I certainly would like to see such new model. I would also be interested to examine Mrs. Pallion's car machine engine. All of these fast and new inventions seem very interesting to me, although I doubt anyone needs them in Moominvalley except for mere investigation purposes, of course' said the Snork.

'I really hope people's curiosity don't lead them to fancy any kind of machinery. It would only bring the worst of the world to this fantastic valley' stated Snufkin in a rather catastrophic way.

'Although I differ from your opinion about these great scientific advances, it is certain that there is no place for them in our humble civilization' declared Snork.