Chapter 4. Old fears

As soon as Moomin and Snufkin finished their tea and cake, they continued looking for bait until the jar was full. Snork decided to spend the night at the blue house and Moominmamma prepared everything for her guest, which wasn't much, since she always had a bedroom ready for any unexpected visit. Moominpappa simply laid in his hammoc and rested for a while as Snork kept on calculating distances and other numbers related to boat and car machines' engines.

Later, Moomin and Snufkin washed themselves and prepared some sandwiches and poured some juice into a jar.

'Are you sure you don't want anything else for dinner?' asked Moominmamma.

'It's alright, mamma. This is enough, we're not very hungry' said Moomin with a smile.

'Alright, I'll go up later just to say good night to you', she said.

Then they went upstairs, taking their dinner up with them and laid on the bed.

'What a long day!' sighed Moomin.

'It was' admitted Snufkin, who was not wearing his hat nor his green tunic. He was simply wearing clean wool socks, trousers and a long white t-shirt.

Moominmamma had insisted on washing the rest.

'Is there anything you want to do?' asked Moomin.

'Why don't you tell me about the last book you were reading?' asked Snufkin.

'Alright', he said and walked up to his desk to take the book. The last time he read it was the night before he encountered Snufkin in the forest.

'Hmmm' smiled Moomin looking tenderly at the book in his hands walking back and sitting on the bed.

'What is it? Is it a love story?' asked Snufkin.

'No; it doesn't seem like it to me, but I then again I'm not an expert in recognizing one. Although this story was the reason I found you'.

Moomin then explained how he went into the forest looking for an underground river and how he ended up finding him instead.

'Actually, I was wondering why had you gone to the forest by yourself that day' said Snufkin with a smile.

'I was searching for an adventure,' said Moomin, motioning with a hand in the air, and I found something even better' he finished, looking at Snufkin.

Just then, instinctively, Snufkin nuzzled Moomin's snout with his nose.

Moomin's face turned red instantly and opened his mouth in astonishment.

Snufkin sat down on the mattress and giggled, covering his mouth.

Moomin looked at him still surprised and sat down slowly.

Seeing that Moomin didn't seem to recover, Snufkin stopped giggling and asked, worried, 'Moomin, are you alright?'.

Moomin nodded and touched the place where Snufkin had nuzzled him with a hand.

'Did I do something wrong?' asked Snufkin getting closer.

'Snufkin... You... You gave me a kiss', managed to say Moomin.

'A kiss? How?' asked Snufkin confused.

'That's what kisses are like! Well, at least for Moomins...' explained Moomin.

Finally, Snufkin understood and relaxed. Again, a smile appeared on his face.

'Oh, Moomintroll... Not to a breed like me, I guess'.

'I guess it's stupid that I liked it then' said Moomin, embarrassed.