Chapter 5. Nightmares

As the sun started to go down, the group decided to return to the beach. They had been lucky enough to fish enough herrings to almost fill one of the wooden boxes.

'Well, it was a pretty good day, I'd say!' exclaimed Moomin once they had charged their things back in the cart. Snufkin had already tied the boat to the jetty.

'Yeah, but I think we'll need more than a week to fill the rest of Mr. Hemulen's boxes', said My hopping onto the cart.

'More than a week!? Awww, that's a lot of work!' complained Sniff.

'Don't worry, Sniff. You don't need to come every time, but we'll be glad if you want to help', said Snufkin.

'Now we just have to take this herrings to Mr. Hemulen before we go home' Moomin reminded them.

'Aww, but I am already very tired!' cried Sniff.

Snufkin and My rolled their eyes. All of them knew that no matter how much he complained, Sniff would accompany them all the same.

...

It was nighttime and the moon was new. Moomin and Snufkin were in Moomin's room. Snufkin laid on his side and watched Moomin with attention as he continued telling the story from the adventure book.

He observed his big, dark shadow projecting on the wall and thought that even if Moomin became as big as his shadow never could he believe him a monster.

Tender thoughts like those had filled his head these days just by observing the tiniest details about Moomintroll and whatever surrounded him, and every time he realized about these, Snufkin felt surprised about how easily they appeared.

'...just to find that it wasn't just any forest, but the Two Lost Souls Forest...' was saying Moomin trying to contain a yawn.

'We should leave the rest of the story for tomorrow' said Snufkin.

'Aw, we only had one more page to finish this chapter' said Moomin as he set the bookmark and closed the book.

'We can start reading the previous pages so we remember the last details' said Snufkin optimistic and yawned as well.

Moomin chuckled. 'Seems like you're tired too', he noted.

'Indeed' said Snufkin as he stood up from the bed.

Moomin, on the other hand, opened the covers and got into them taking delight in their softness and warmth.

'You should get in, you'll doze off in no time' said Moomin closing his eyes.

But Snufkin didn't get in. He turned off the kerosene lamp and then stood next to the window for a couple of minutes.

Moomin covered him self a little bit more, but noticed Snufkin wasn't in the bed yet, so he opened his eyes. He saw Snufkin staring outside the window.

'Snufkin, is everything fine?' asked Moomin.

He didn't answer at once. It seemed like his eyes were fixed somewhere in the night sky and his tail moved from side to side.

'Snufkin?' asked Moomin sitting up and livening up a little bit.

'It's quite late. Let's go to sleep' he finally said and got into the bed.

Moomin brushed this off and layed down again, turning to a side and reached for Snufkin's hand to hold it to his chest.

'Good night, Snufkin' said Moomin.

'Good night, Moomintroll' said Snufkin, and both fell asleep...

...although not for long.

Only three hours later, Snufkin woke up feeling like he couldn't go back to sleep. A powerful but well known instinct that he had never repressed compelled him to go out, so he put on his clothes, boots and hat on as silently as he could.