000. ━ the potter tragedy

prologue[ the potter tragedy ]

prologue
[ the potter tragedy ]

𝐉𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐋𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐏𝐎𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑 sat in the living room with their two young children, their giggles filling the cottage with the happy sound. James lay on the floor with Isabella, their daughter who looked to be a near doppelgänger of her mother with the same red hair and pale complexion. However, she inherited her father's hazel eyes which were filled with the same mischief even at such a young age.

Harry, meanwhile, was the complete opposite. He had the same looks as his father with his mother's emerald green eyes. James tickled Isabella on her stomach making her laugh which, in turn, made Harry giggle. Lily smiled between her husband and children, feeling a sense of happiness bubble in her chest.

The happiness that would be gone in an instant...

James' head shot up from his spot on the floor when he heard a noise, picking up Isabella and moving over to the front window. As he peeled back the curtain, all color drained from his face and he turned back to his wife who looked at him in confusion.

"He's here," he said in a hushed tone and Lily shook her head. "He's here. Lily, go, take the twins, and run! I'll hold him off."

"James, no—"

"There isn't much time," he pressed, giving his wife Isabella and kissing the twins' forehead before looking at Lily. "Please... go..."

Lily's bottom lip trembled before turning and running up the stairs toward the nursery. James watched them vanish from his sight before facing the front door that burst open. He patted his pockets in search of his wand; it was on the couch.

Lord Voldemort pointed his wand directly at the young father and James Potter fell to the floor, his eyes lifeless. Voldemort's gaze moved to the stairs and swept in the direction of the nursery. Lily blocked the door with a dresser before turning to her children who were sitting in the crib.

"Isa, Harry, momma loves you," she said, her voice shaking as she heard footsteps approach the room. "Dada loves you. Be safe, be strong." She gasped when the door burst open and Voldemort's snake-like eyes looked at her. "Please," she begged. "Not my children. Please."

"Step aside," he hissed and she shook her head.

"Please, have mercy."

"Step aside," he said again. "I only want the boy. Step aside and yours and the girl's life will be spared."

"Not Harry."

Voldemort pointed his wand at the young mother. "Avada Kedavra!" With a flash of green light filling the nursery, Lily Potter fell to the floor, landing in front of her children's crib. Harry and Isabella cried out for their mother as Voldemort swept over to them. He looked down at Isabella who stopped crying and looked into his snake-like eyes. "Don't worry, my dear," he told the girl. "It will all be over soon." He turned and pointed his wand at Harry. "Avada Kedavra!"

The day James and Lily Potter died was also the day the twins' lives changed forever. The curse meant to kill Harry did not kill him; instead, it ricocheted and hit Voldemort, giving the illusion that he had died. It had also hit Isabella in the process, hitting her in the neck.

The lightning bolt scars that lay on Harry's forehead and Isabella's neck linked them to Voldemort, but little did they know how much it would change their lives... or in Isabella's case, ruin her life.