002. ━ the stray black cat

chapter two[ the stray black cat ]

chapter two
[ the stray black cat ]

𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐈𝐍 Diagon Alley for several days and never once did his mind wander to his sister who he had abandoned with the Dursleys. His days consisted of eating breakfast every morning at the Leaky Cauldron where he had been staying. After breakfast, he would tap his wand on the brick wall that opened and revealed Diagon Alley to the young wizard. He spent the days wandering along the windows of the shops or discussing Sirius Black's escape from Azkaban.

On the final day of the holidays, due to leave for Hogwarts the next day, was when Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley joined him in Diagon Alley.

"Finally!" Ron exclaimed, smiling at Harry as he and Hermione sat down outside of Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor. "We went to the Leaky Cauldron, but they said you'd left, and we went to Flourish and Blotts, and Madam Malkin's, and—"

"I got all my school stuff last week," Harry answered, preventing Ron from saying every shop that was in Diagon Alley. "And how come you knew I was staying at the Leaky Cauldron?"

"Dad."

Harry nodded; that made sense. Arthur Weasley worked at the Ministry of Magic and he must have undoubtedly heard about Harry's incident with Aunt Marge.

"Did you really blow up your aunt, Harry?" Hermione asked in a very serious voice.

"I didn't mean to," Harry replied while Ron was roaring with laughter. "I just — lost control."

Hermione looked sharply at the redheaded boy who was still laughing. "It's not funny, Ron. Honestly, I'm amazed Harry wasn't expelled."

"So am I," Harry admitted. "Forget expelled, I thought I was going to be arrested. Your dad doesn't know why Fudge let me off, does he?" he asked Ron who shrugged.

"Probably 'cause it's you, isn't it?" he answered, still chuckling slightly. "Famous Harry Potter and all that. I'd hate to see what the Ministry'd do to me if I blew up an aunt. Mind you, they'd have to dig me up first, because Mum would've killed me. Anyway, you can ask Dad yourself this evening. We're staying at the Leaky Cauldron tonight too! So you can come to King's Cross Station with us tomorrow! Hermione's there as well!"

Hermione nodded. "Mum and Dad dropped me off this morning with all my Hogwarts things."

"Excellent!" Harry smiled. "So, have you got all your new books and stuff?"

"Look at this," Ron said, pulling out a thin box and opening it. "Brand new wand. Fourteen inches, willow, containing one unicorn tail hair. And we've got all our books. What about those Monster Books, eh? The assistant nearly cried when we said we wanted two."

After helping Hermione find herself a birthday present — an orange cat whom Ron immediately disapproved of — the three returned to the Leaky Cauldron where Mr. Weasley was sitting at the table with a copy of The Daily Prophet open in front of him.