halo

Mercedes F1 team and Lily Bianco proposed new changes to f1 back in 2015

Mercedes F1 team and Lily Bianco proposed new changes to f1 back in 2015. Only now had news about the creator of the design broken out.

The 23 year old first bought the idea up after the tragic loss of her father. Antonio Bianco had previously died due to an engine failure causing him to collide into the wall. Unfortunately, the impact from the wall caused him to obtain a fatal injury to his head. The engine failure caused a huge fire which destroyed his car and caused burn wounds on his body leading to his later death. The Mercedes team began working with the little girl on how to better the safety within racing after she became painfully aware of the dangers of the sport.

Toto Wolff made a statement referring to the young girl: "She had become totally invested in the sport. She had been since her father bought her to a race, we'd catch her questioning staff on certain parts of the car, strategies and overall how everything worked. After their deaths, more then ever, she seemed to be more keen on making racing safe rather then a risk. When she used to stay over at mine for a sleepover she brings a notebook dedicated to better strategies and explains why they are better. It's proven to benefit the team. She was only 15 and became the change to the sport we now know. The sport that took her father's and brothers life, now she's saved several others. The thought itself only just makes it more real for her and we couldn't be more proud of her."

Previously, the design, although formed with the Mercedes team, had also been deemed questionable by Toto Wolff the teams due to its lack of aesthetic appeal along with its inconvenience on the drivers. However, as the years passed, the design has proven to be one of, if not, the best creations to be bought to the sport. Having saved many lives.

The question however is Why is Toto finally giving credit towards Lily? Hopefully sooner or later we get to give Lily the thanks she deserves for saving the lives of those we look up to.

The controversial Halo saves 2 drivers lives just this week in f1 and f2

In the British GP, 2 drivers were ultimately saved from what could've been the end due to the titanium.

During the open lap, Zhou Guanyu's car got tangled up with another car and flipped upside down. His car flipped and became lodged between the fence and tire barrier. Zhou was immediately taken to the medics to get injuries checked but thankfully nothing major came from the crash.

Taking to instagram he posted a picture with the caption "Halo saved me. Thanks everyone for your kind messages". Pictures of his car were revealed showing the distraction but one thing remained intact, the halo proving that it had been strong enough to save the driver.

Later on in the F2 race, Dennis Haugher went off track causing him to lose control of his car, leading to him being launched into Roy Nissany's car. Both walked away unharmed due to the halo.

There are many more instances like this including the Max And Lewis crash in 2021 when the red bull ended up on top of Hamilton. Toto Wolff admitted that Lewis was only saved because of the Halo.

New concepts such as the halo always prove to create controversy within the sports world due to the lack of understanding towards them. Many had made it clear how desperate they were to remove the idea of the halo from racing due to its lack of appeal looks wise. But is looks or lives more important. That's for the world to decide.

-
happy new years 🥳