𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕖 - 𝕒 𝕞𝕪𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤 𝕝𝕖𝕥𝕥𝕖𝕣, 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕜, 𝕒 𝕓𝕚𝕘 𝕓𝕣𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕝𝕠𝕒𝕕𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕧𝕠𝕞𝕚𝕥

chapter notes

chapter preview

marlene

Wednesday 3st August 1960 - 06:30am

It was a very busy (and stormy) Wednesday evening at Rosewill Adoption Centre. It was not uncommon for it to be this busy, especially in August. It was one of the only adoption centres for miles and had one of the best reputations of all the centres in Scotland. Today was possibly the busiest it had been all summer, what with loads of people wanting to adopt children, and loads of people wanting to dump their troubled children here. There was also a small troop of aurors near the reception desk as a group of delinquent 10-year-olds had gone missing (or they suspected they had attempted to run away, where? they had no idea). So it was no surprise that a soaked, red-faced, young woman managed to sneak in and leave a naked baby girl, covered up with a blanket on an unoccupied chair in the cramped waiting area, with a letter tucked into a corner of her baby carrier.

It took almost two hours for a member of staff to realise that a baby was left unattended in the waiting area, once a kind old lady mentioned it to her. She speedwalked over to the baby, relieved it hadn't been snatched away by some crazy lady. She quickly picked up her carrier and rushed over to the bustling nursery. This baby hadn't been registered, what where they going to do? They would have to give her a new name. Then she noticed the letter tucked beside her. She picked it up (it wasn't even sealed?) and opened it. She squinted to try and read the scratchy handwriting.

to the adoptions senter peepol,

this is my bayby girl i cant look after her i dont wont a stoopid baby aniway her name is marlene mckinnon and her burthday is on the frirst of orrgast and also she has to be adobted dont just leeve her in that dusty old senter she has delicat lunghs and i think she mihgt be dieing alredy so give her some medyciine and make her beter pleas i woud be very thankfull 

thank you 

The lady rolled her eyes - this lady couldn't even spell, obviously she couldn't look after a 'stoopid baby'.

I absolutely hate it in this place, honestly i prefer it on the streets, now i have to wear a small, stinky grey clothes thing, and I kid you not - it stinks so bad i have vomited so much times, and it's not a good sensation like it feels like our whole body heaves and your throat closes up and your chest hurts, and after, your mouth, throat and nose (for some reason) sting like crazy. The milk they give us is okay, but if i drink it too fast, I vomit. 

We alway have this time where they lie us down on our bellies, I don't know why but they always make me lift up my head and limbs and tries to get me to roll over back onto my back, to be honest it's easy, I see all the others struggle, I don't know why, it's a total breeze, they tiggle me and give me loads of praise so I guess it's not all bad, it stretches myself out. I like exercise, but we have to do it straight after milk so I vomit most of the time which is a proper downside.

peter

Monday 8th August 1960 - 09:48am

Peter Pettigrew wasn't, say the prettiest baby, his skin was pasty and his eyes were red and squinty, he was quite pudgy and had bald patches. But to Edwina Pettigrew, Peter was the most precious baby she had seen in all her life. Martin Pettigrew was kinda wishing it was a girl instead, but was relieved that it wasn't twins. Edwina Pettigrew believed in those old tales and tricks to work out what gender your baby is, and if it's twins or triplets. Apparently she was having twin girls. But the baby in front of her wasn't a twin, nor a girl, just an unfortunate baby boy.

💔

The next day Edwina and Martin Pettigrew took Peter home to his big brother, Zacharias Pettigrew. As soon as he heard the tell-tale sound of the door creaking, he jumped up from where he was playing blocks with his grandma, and ran to the door, ignoring his Grandma's pleas not to run. 

"Let me see Peter. Let me see himmm. Let me see. Letmesee. Letmesee. Letmesee. Letmesee." He whined at his smiling mother.

"You will see him soon, let me take off my jacket and shoes first."

💔

"Wow, can I play with him?" Zach said, grinning up at his dad.

"Uhh, sure?" Martin said, wondering how on earth he was going to play with a baby. Zach grinned wildly and went on his tip-toes to try and take peter out of his cot.

"Hey, hey, hey! What are you doing?" Martin said taking Peter from Zach's arms.

"I'm playing with him! Give him back! You promised I would get to play blocks with him! I WANT TO PLAY BLOCKS WITH THE BABY!" Zach screamed angrily.

"Shhh! You're gonna make h-" Peter started bawling. "See!" Martin shook his head and sighed. "Go play blocks with Grandma," 

"Grandma is boring,"

"No she's not. Go be a good big brother, set an example for him, okay?" Martin said to him. Zach scowled and crossed his arms -merlin this kid was going to be sassy- and stormed off, leaving his dad with a crying baby in his arms. 

"Eddy! How do I get it to stop crying!"

sirius

Saturday, 27 August 1960 - 05:12pm

Sirius Black was scared of the dark. Did he have to explain it? It was like the darkness engulfed him and snatched him away, bringing him to misery. Was the dark supposed to help him fall asleep? Honestly it was doing the complete opposite. When the lights were off, it just made him one hundred times more paranoid.                                                                                                                            The dark came with the cold, and the cold came with the eeriness, elevating his senses so he felt every single thing. He didn't have a horrible case of nyctophobia at first, but Kreacher, the house elf was always sneaking around at night and sometimes hung over Sirius cot when he was sleeping, the first time this happened was what triggered his fear of the darkness.    

Kreacher was scary enough in the light, so he so much more more scary in the dark with it, the crack of light, coming from the miniscule slit in the curtains, warping his gnarly skin, making him ten times more wrinkled, his huge yellow eyes magnifying tenfold, so he looked like a creepy doll (an ugly one too) hanging above him.                                                                                                                  

Sirius was sobbing like his life depended on it, Mrs Merriface rocked him and fed him, trying to coax him to sleep, but he wouldn't, not in the dark. There was a loud bang, and the candles were magically lit, standing at the door, was Walbruga Black looking absolutely livid. She sent a quick slapping hex in the way of Mrs Merriface.

"Can you not make him SHUT UP?"

"I'm trying my best Ma'am,"

"Well that clearly isn't enough!" And with that Walburga snatched Sirius up and placed him inside the wardrobe, put a silencing spell on his mouth and closed the cupboard.

"Leave him there. Don't take him out until at least seven or eight o'clock, where you should feed him. She promptly stormed out of the room.

a/n

sorry for the unbearably short chapter. not that sorry actually. I might stop writing. If you want me to keep going, comment on this, if i don't get any comments i wont keep writing, not anytime soon anyway

anyway ignore the terrible grammar, im not bothered to edit, i should have a beta, but i don't know how one would accquire one

anyway have a nice dayy