Chapter 1 - Argument

Haerin's POV

8 years ago, after my sister's death I was left with so many unanswered questions that haunted me. Why did she have to leave me while I was left alive? Why was I so stubborn? I hated myself for what happened and choosing not to go to that performance. Everything changed after that incident and I felt like I was trapped in a nightmare I couldn't wake up from.

My parents were always too busy to take notice of our situation. They were busy with their own works and companies but to me, they were just like strangers to me. I often felt alone and misunderstood. My sister was the only person who truly understood me, and now that she was gone, I had no one to turn to.

The loneliness was suffocating, and I often wondered why I had to be in this situation. All I could do was mourn the loss of my older sister, and try to keep her memory alive in my own heart.

I'm Kang Haerin, 17 years old. People knew who I was back then before I left the music world at the age of 9, right after my older sister passed away. I started to play instruments at the age of 6 but it turned out to be something bad for me.

The sound of the piano never failed to amaze me, no matter how many times I played it. Even though it's been 8 years, the memory of it has never left my heart. I love the piano and the music it produces, but I refuse to play it again. Every time I played that instrument, I can't help but feel the sadness of losing my sister.

I've accepted that she's gone, and while I miss her so much..only god knows how much I missed her.

After I left the music industry that day, the news about my departure spread like wildfire. Each year, people continue to ask about my whereabouts and the reason for my sudden departure.

"Where is our Kang Haerin? What happened to her after her last performance? Is she..dead..?"

I wish the answer to that last question was a simple "yes.", but the truth is that I'm still alive and well. Despite my decision to leave the music world behind, I can't help but wonder what might have been if things had been different.

Day by day, I've been forgotten by people and I'm glad that people are not talking about it anymore.

My parents changed drastically. They pulled me out of school and started homeschooling me instead, out of fear of losing me as well. I'm glad that they cared about me so much but...their behavior toward me was suffocating. They were often preoccupied with their work and didn't seem to have time for me.

I was left alone at home most of the time, feeling like a burden and a disappointment. They would often come back late from work, leaving me feeling even more isolated and abandoned. I felt like a stranger in my own home, a prisoner in my own mind.

I hated myself for bringing all this tragedy into their lives, and I wished I could turn back time, and make things right.

But there's one more thing I still need to find out.  Person.

"Haerin.."

"Who are y-" My words got cutted.

"We won't forget each other, right...?"

"I don't know.." I say, not wanting to promise something I can't deliver.

She leans a necklace..it has flower symbol..

"Please don't say that.. could you take care of this?" she asks, her voice heavy with emotion.

I take it and and I wear it while looking at it.