Chapter 1

Co-author Firehedgehog

————

He was fleeing.

Why was he fleeing?

The world was disjointed, confusing and fuzzy. Each step painful and he felt like he'd fall forward dizzy if he stopped.

His hand why was it so small pressed against a tree as he stopped to catch his breath, sweat dripping down his form.

"Where are you hiding?~ Where hAvE yOU gone mY tRouBleSOme bRotHer? !"

A dark voice rang out, madness and malice dripping from the tone and slowly getting slowly closer.

Fevered blue eyes peered around themselves in terror, fight was impossible so flight was his only option.

His other hand briefly went to his skull, it ached fiercely and had cracks he worried of.

He stumbled forward again, clothing hanging off him in rags.

He knew them, yet he hurt too much other than that, he had to escape...

They'd already taken everything else.

"Oh! I foUnd YoU "

Burning positivity suffused the area as a tall golden boned skeleton monster stared down at the small monster, their grin large and unhinged.

" Come BaCk to Me yOu BrAt! You can't escape me So eAsILy "

Their clawed hands scraped the remains of the tree, their scorching eyelights fully focused on the pathetic little creature trying to run away.

" I REFUSE TO LET YOU LEAVE! "

"Go... to hell Dream" he rasped out.

There was a river to his left, strong and heavy flow. He would cease to be if he didn't escape, and he'd likely die if he went into it.

Twin children playing under a tree, laughing and happy .

Nightmare leapt forward into the froth of the insane river, quickly vanishing under its water.

Miles later his circlet would be found in the mud, he would not be.

Dreams screech of fury could be heard for miles, their magic lashing out and destroying the last remnants of the tree of feelings.

" How DarE yOu LeAve Me, Nightmare! "

They hissed out, face twisted into anger but tears streamed down their face, obsessively looking for any hints of their brothers location.

Hours passed by with little progress apart from a familiar circlet, Dream cradling it to

his chest as if fearful it would vanish otherwise.

"...why did you abandon me, brother? I thought you loved me.."

He whispered pitifully, the rage drained out of him to be replaced by pure pain.

He only wanted to be with his twin forever, why did they fight back...?

His scream of anguish was heard for miles.

------

He woke up coughing water from non-existent lungs, he heaved and gagged and curled exhausted on mud. Shivers wracked his body as marrow dripped down his skull from cracks, more coughs escaped him.

He clawed his way up from the water, eyes blank, then collapsed in thick grass.

A single cough escaped him.

~cough~

~cough~

~cough~ ~cough~ ~cough~

Empty eyes opened, listening to flowers coughing in the cave he's somehow ended in.

The empty eyed child sighed and fell unconscious.

------

Gaster trudged around the Underground of this AU his own long gone , feeling nostalgia as he looked at the inhabitants.

He had made sure to avoid being seen, wandering in the more secluded locations but he couldn't help but keep an eye on the Sans and Papyrus he deeply missed his own, even if he didn't deserve to .

His mind wandered on long past memories, not paying attention to where he was going as he left Snowdin, soon ending up in the echo flower field.

His fingers brushed against the flowers, multiple voices soon filling the air as the wishes of the trapped monsters were heard.

"I want to see the stars!"

"-heard the sea is beautiful. Will I ever get to see it?"

"-where has mama gone? I wish she was here"

He sighed, feeling nothing ever changed no matter what AU he went to, it all the same in the end at least this place was still stable .

He was about to leave, it painful to have his failures thrown in his face, abruptly freezing when he heard a quiet groan.

~cough~

~cough~

~cough~

Then one of the flowers groaned, that one was being something that definitely didn't belong.

Gaster cautiously made his way towards the source, crouching down at a pile of disturbed flowers and carefully pushing them apart.

He gasped at seeing an injured babybones, the tiny body covered in cracks, with the wheezing coming from the tiny body raising his alarm further.

"Whose child is this..? I don't recognise them at all.."

He shook off those useless thoughts when the tiny body whimpered, pulling them into his arms and preparing to leave the AU.

It clearly wasn't safe for them here, shivering at the mere thought of leaving them here he had enough sins weighing on his soul without adding another one .

Startling eyes, the colour of echo flowers opened, ghostly and empty.

Then closed again.

Gaster really wasn't going to let them stay here, the child's gaze one he often saw on monsters about to dust.

"Don't worry. I'll help you"

He whispered his promise, his eyelights blazing with his conviction despite the child being unable to hear him.

"Let's get you warmed up"

He said as he held them close, the next second disappearing from the AU, only the echo flowers repeating message proof he had been there at all.

"I'll help you, tiny flower"

~~~~

Dream: *Obsessively staring at his twin* We will be together forever! Let us join and be one for eternity~

Nightmare: *Already making a run for it* No thanks!