The Surge

"Hey! If you don't stop fighting and listen to me, then I will take away recess!" Onyx slammed her hand down on her desk, finally at her wits end with these children. She'd been trying to explain the difference between a plant cell and an animal cell, but none of her students seemed to find the topic as interesting as she had. Onyx gritted her teeth in irritation when someone's pencil case hit her in the face. "I'm not even legally qualified for this," she moaned as the bell rang and her students stampeded out of the classroom.

(=^・ェ・^=)(=^・ェ・^=)(=^・ェ・^=)(=^・ェ・^=)

Onyx gave a little smile as she flipped open her bento box and looked at the little characters she'd made out of rice and seaweed the night before. She'd recently discovered that she liked cooking, and with Zane's help, she'd managed to pick up a thing or two.

"All right! Who took my pudding cup? My name was clearly written on it," Jay suddenly complained, frantically searching the fridge. "I didn't see Motor Mouth written on it," Cole said, pointing at Jay with a plastic spoon. Jay's face dropped into a pout. "That's it! I'm telling the headmaster!" He exclaimed. "No! Leave me out of it. I'm on break, too," Wu said quickly, before Jay could say anything.

Jay huffed and flopped down onto one of the benches in the teacher's lounge. Kai sighed. "Relax, Jay. You can have mine," he said, tossing the aforementioned pudding to him. Jay groaned. "Aww, but this one's not cold," he whined. Zane sighed and flipped a few switches in his arm before wrapping his hands around the cup. A few moments later he handed the cooled pudding back to Jay. "Oh, gimme! Mm," Jay said, quickly accepting the dessert.

After a few minutes, he spoke again. "Is anyone else chapped that Lloyd gets to be the Golden Ninja and fly around accepting awards while we're stuck here being teachers with no powers? Ah. I miss our elemental weapons," he said. Onyx shrugged. "I don't mind it too much.  I kind of like teaching Biology. More than dealing with the paparazzi, anyway," she said. Though she did miss spending time with Lloyd. Cole shook his head. "You're the only one who actually likes your subject," he remarked, tossing the empty pudding cup into the waste bin.

Nya suddenly hurried into the room and snapped the door shut. The ninja could hear a muffled boy's voice calling something about her dress from the other side. Nya groaned. "Why is it that when I teach, I get the feeling that none of the boys are listening?" She asked. Onyx smirked. "You're a pretty woman and they're middle-school boys. They aren't," she said, glad that she didn't have the same problem. Though that was probably because most of her students didn't pay much attention to anything.

"Hi, Miss Nya. I saved you some pudding," Jay said, holding his half-eaten cup out to her. Nya sighed. "What did we talk about?" She asked. Jay immediately withdrew. "Oh, right. Boundaries," he said. Nya offered him a brisk smile before looking back at the others. "Anyway, did you guys hear the news?" She asked. Onyx sighed as the boys immediately leapt up with cries of excitement. "Is it a new mission?" Kai exclaimed. Nya shook her head. "No. We got clearance for a field trip," she said.

The boys groaned. Nya laughed. "Hold on! Not just any field trip. A field trip to tour Borg Industries," she said. Onyx's interest piqued. Technology wasn't her strong suit, but she did like informative fieldtrips. Jay gasped excitedly. "Ah! Not the Borg Industries. As in home to super genius reclusive savant Cyrus Borg? Inventor of the hover car and everything else cool in this world?" He cried. He would've gone on if Zane hadn't kicked him in the shin.

Kai rolled his eyes, making his way over to the tea kettle. "Who cares about Cyrus Borg? If you ask me, people should concern themselves with the lessons of the past. Not waste their time on the disposable fads of tomorrow when—" Onyx interrupted him. "Everyone else has already left. If you want to come, you'd better hurry," she said before dashing out of the room.
(=^・ェ・^=)(=^・ェ・^=)(=^・ェ・^=)(=^・ェ・^=)