𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙁𝙄𝙁𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉 ➯ 𝙨𝙖𝙮 𝙙𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙜𝙤

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

❝i said "i love you",
                   you say nothing back❞
➯ say don't go, taylor swift

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

ALTERNATIVELY TITLED

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

❝i know my love should be
                     celebrated, but you tolerate it❞
➯ tolerate it, taylor swift

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

FEBRUARY 2023

ISLA AND CARLOS had never gone this long in a fight. Ever since the start of winter break for Carlos, the two hadn't been able to agree on anything. From a wedding venue, to sharing the chores in their house, to even what they were doing for vacation. They had never disagreed this much on anything, for all seven years that the had been together, nothing had ever felt so tiring and repetitive.

It felt like they couldn't even breathe without a argument ensuing.

It was Valentine's day (one of Isla's favorite holidays) and the girl was determined to end their fighting. She had spent the previous week ironing out final details for their wedding, picking out a dress, and that Tuesday morning she had decided that today was going to be special. She had spent the whole morning on the phone with her closest friends and family, such as Kimi, Lewis, Sebastian, and others trying to get their advice both with the wedding but also with what to do with Carlos.

Isla was going to fix things.

The brunette had spent the greater part of the evening cooking one of Carlos's favorite dishes, the recipe being that of his mothers. She had laid rose petals down from the front door of their Monegasque home all the way to the dining room, where she had set the table with candles and flowers. Her flowy black dress with a square neckline that stopped mid thigh was perfectly ironed, her hair done in loose waves.

This night was going to be perfect.

When the girl heard the sound of a car pulling into the driveway, she felt giddy. She leaned against the table, holding his freshly wrapped present in her hands. When she heard the door open, she nearly squealed in excitement. "Mi vida! I'm home!"

"Follow the petals!"

The man skeptically followed the path, his smile forming when he saw the candles around the table. "Hermosa, what...?"

Isla threw her arms up in the air, moving into his confused embrace and capturing his lips in a soft kiss. "Surprise! I knew you were going to be late with sim, and all, but I thought we deserved some romance."

Dinner was going (surprisingly) well for once. Their conversation was flowing, and the two were finally relaxed for the first time in probably a month and a half. Isla's shoulders released the built up tension as the two continued talking throughout their meal. "I finally picked out my wedding dress a few days ago."

"Oh."

Isla pulled slightly aback, her tone coming out harsh. "'Oh'? What do you mean, 'oh'?"

The boy rolled his eyes. "I didn't mean anything, in particular... I just don't see why this has to happen now."

Isla's fork clanked as it dropped against her plate. "Why planning our wedding has to happen now?"

The tension in the room grew thick as Carlos rose from his seat and moved to the kitchen sink in the other room as he cleared his dishes. The only noise the girl could hear was when he scrubbed his plate under the stream of water. The girl followed him, leaving her own plate at the table, throwing her arms above her head as she yelled, "Don't walk away, Carlos, what do you have to say? Do you not want to be planning our wedding?"

"I just need time, okay!" He snapped, placing his plate at the bottom of the sink so he could grip the granite. "Why are we rushing this?"

"We've been engaged for a year now, Carlos. What, did you think it was never going to happen?" She replied, rounding the island to get closer to him. "Did you just think we'd stay engaged for forever?!"

The Spaniard closed his eyes, bringing his soapy hands up to his forehead. "Please, not now, Isles. Can't we do this some other time."

She rolled her eyes, reaching for the bottle of red that she had opened. "What is happening to us? Just a few months ago you couldn't wait to marry me."

"Life happens, hermosa, there's just so much going on..."

"Like what?" Isla reached out for him, wrapping her hands around his bicep, to which he only shied away from her touch. "Please, love, just talk to me."

He pulled away. "You wouldn't understand."

"Carlos, I love you, I'm not sure if there's anything I wouldn't understand."

It was if wheels were turning in his head, trying to figure out how to explain this. How to break this. "I'm not ready... to get married."

Islas eyes flashed as she her face dropped. Every fibre of her being was fighting the want to cry. "You don't... Why?"

"It's just not..."

"Please, Carlos, I love you," Isla set her glass of wine down, walking the long way around to stand in front of him. Her fingers traced his jaw, cupping his cheek as she moved in front of him. "I love you. I love you, please just talk to me. Please, don't you still love me?"

His hands slid up her arms and back down again, holding her hands as he brought them to his mouth. Pressing gentle kisses onto her fingers, his lips hovering painfully above the ring on her left hand. "I'm so sorry, Isla."

"Carlos- Do you... do you not love me?" Saying it aloud, the words cut her deeply. "I love you Carlos. Do you still love me?"

The boy just stared back at her.

Isla had never felt more betrayed in her whole life. She pried her fingers from his grip, shaking off his touch as if it were dirtying her. "Is there someone else? Am I... am I not enough?"

"No, Isla, I'm just not ready. I can't move that fast, I-"

"Get out," Isla responded, her voice barely above a whisper. "If you can't tell me you love me then get out. If you can't fight for me... get out."

The boy hesitated for a moment before he started heading for the door. Isla choked on a sob as she ripped the engagement ring off of her finger, throwing it at his retreating figure as her knees gave out. She landed on the floor as she continued to cry, her heart shattering completely as the door clicked shut.

KYLIE SPEAKS!
to those of you who commented last chapter... your hand in marriage?