Bucket List of the Dead

"Get moving maggots!"

The rain pelts against the muddy ground as y/n and her fellow soldiers ran across the field back and forth, but one of them fell to the ground, evoking the anger of their sergeant,"Get back up, you damn maggot! If this were a real life and death situation, you would've been dead already!" the sargeant screams at the male soldier, who staggers back to his feet and starts to run again.

The whole thing made y/n sigh mentally as she rolls her eyes,[Ugh, just shut up, you damn old coot. Doesn't your throat ever get sore from all the shouting?] she thought with a spiteful look before noticing one of her colleagues dripping blood from their forehead.

"H-Hey, you okay? You're bleeding a bit there." y/n calls out, but screams when the colleague suddenly launched at the person in front of them, sinking their teeth into the back of the female soldier's neck as they fall to the ground.

Y/n is then suddenly very aware of the screams around her as the army base alarm sounds,"What're you doing maggot?! This is no time to stand around! Get back to running!" y/n hears her sergeant shout and she whips around to face him,"Sir, with all due respect, this isn't the time to-"

She cuts herself off when she saw her boss was actually zombified and was staggering towards her with blood spewing here and there out of his body,"If you don't get to running, you'll get extra laps private y/n!"

"...Y/n!"

"Hey, sis! Wake up!"

Y/n yelps as she sits up, colliding heads with Akira, who jolts back and hisses in pain,"Damn it, Akira! Why'd you do that!?" y/n pouts as she runs her forehead,"Well, I didn't wanna start a new, free, day without my precious little sister!" Akira cooes annoyingly as he makes kissy faces at y/n with clasped hands, making the woman laugh as she playfully pushes him back,"Ew! Gross, no!" she says as they share a laugh together.

Though y/n recoils when a horrid stench hits her nose and she's reminded of the horrifying state her brother's apartment is in,"It stinks in here! Open the door!" she begs as Akira stays positive while he opens the sliding door to the small balcony. He takes a breath and stretches his arms way above his head while y/n rubs her tummy under a clean shirt with a small yawn. She also joined her brother's side as they either grin or smile dumbly at the chaos before them.

"And a very good morning world!!! I'm spending my three years worth of vacation time starting today!!! It's gonna be so much fun!!!" Akira shouts at the top of his lungs while y/n chucks an empty can at a random zombie's head, giggling like a kid when it just bounces off the monster's head, which made a confused sound and just stares at the can,"Heh, get canned." she chuckles, but whines when Akira ruffles her already messy hair.

"Hey y/n, you wouldn't mind helping me clean this place, right?" Akira asks and y/n shakes her head,"Not at all. Besides, I'm gonna be living here too, ya numbskull. And, I don't wanna live in a place that's like a pig pen." she replies with a grin.

And so, the siblings worked together to gather and clean the entire apartment together. Akira took care of picking up trash, stuffing it in trash bags before chucking it over the balcony and onto unfortunate zombies. Meanwhile, y/n took care of cleaning the dishes and washing some of their clothes, since her own bag did contain a lot of dirty clothes she wanted to wash at her folks' place.

Akira then took care of vacuuming and cleaning the bathroom while y/n made sure they have electricity and running water,"Sweet! Three years worth of cleaning finished!" Akira cheers as y/n puts her sleeping bag away,"What a relief." she says as she falls face first onto her brother's bed.

"Clean house means a clean mind, or something like that, right?" Akira glances over to y/n, who hums a muffled reply,"It's nice to be organized. Man, when's the last time I felt this good?" Akira takes a deep breath as he drops the cloth on the coffee table and heads for his mini fridge.