Best Friend of the Dead

"Hey y/n, how's it going?" Shou greets as the young girl enters the building of his workplace,"Shou, good to see ya! I've been great." y/n greets with a grin as she takes a seat at a table,"Well, well, look who's in town finally." a buff redhead teases as he leans on the back of the booth seat, a grin on his lips as held a tray in his free hand,"Kaito, hey!" y/n pats his hand resting on the backrest before a hand swiftly places a cocktail glass filled with chocolate mouse and ice cream in front of her,"Your usual, Miss General." a soft voice teases as y/n looks up at a white haired male pushing his glasses up,"Haruki, sly and fast as usual, I see? But, thank you." y/n nods in gratitude before the other two left to continue their work.

"So, hey. It's been a year since you left for Military School overseas. How is it?" Shou asks as he takes a seat across from y/n,"Shit." y/n answers bluntly and Shou sweatdrops with a surprised look, watching as the girl finally digs in to her dessert,"Really? I thought you'd be ecstatic about it." he says as y/n pouts with a frustrated expression.

"I thought I would be, too. But after about ten or so months, it's become exhausting and quite frankly, a hassle. It's nothing but drills, drills, drills and spit flying in your face from the yelling." she explains before popping a spoonful of ice cream in her mouth while Shou purses his lips.

"Then why don't you quit? You can, can't you?" he questions and y/n nods, but sighs,"I would, but I'm mostly doing this so I can gain some skills to help out in my hometown. Since, y'know, it doesn't have a police station or anything like that. There's just hunters, but they're not getting any younger and some of their own kids left for different jobs. So, if I can gain the necessary skills to protect my home, then I'll ensure this hellish nightmare with everything I've got. For my home and for my family." she grins warmly as Shou turns a light shade of red before offering his award-winning smile.

"You're such a considerate person, y/n. It's really admirable. Though, what is it you really want to do with your life?" he asks and y/n thinks for a moment,"A lot of stuff, really. But job wise, I wanted to be a mechanic. I'm pretty good with fixing the tractors and electricity back home, so yeah." she answers with a sheepish smile.

"Hey, y/n! Did you find a special someone yet?" Kaito suddenly asks as he scoots into the booth next to the girl,"What? I don't have time for that!" y/n tells him with an embarrassed blush before a hand softly turns her head to the side,"Then why not spend an evening with me?" Haruki offers with a sultry tone as y/n turns full-blown red,"Would you not use your work voice on me!? Seriously, it's weird!" she squeaks as she pulls away while the three guys chuckle at her flustered self.

"Y/n..."

"Hey! Earth to y/n!"

The woman gasps lightly as she snaps out of memory lane, the wind blowing through her hair,"What's up?" she asks as her one arm tightens around Akira while the other one held her duffle bag filled with her bow, arrows and three assault rifles along with ammo,"We're here!" Akira announces as he skids the bike to a stop and takes off his goggles with y/n doing the same.

"Phew! It's been a while since I've come to Shinjuku, but it's just like I remembered." Akira says with a wide smile,"How do you remember Shinjuku?" y/n asks with a sweatdrop,"Pact with people! No surprise there!" Akira answers,"Speaking of people..." y/n mumbles as she takes out her phone to check her contacts.

"Yeah... That said, I know you're not the kinda guy to go down without a fight. Hang tight Kencho, we're coming!" Akira grins as he and y/n put their goggles back on and drove further into the city.

.
..
...

Okay, let's rewind here a bit about why Akira and I are in Shinjuku. Well, it started just this morning, weeks since the zombie pandemic began.