nine

The issue wasn't that Dupin was necessarily unattractive. He had a decent enough face and well I mean he had good hair. The problem was every time I saw him, he was right next to Descamps which was unfortunate for Dupin because Descamps was significantly more attractive. I had been trying to talk to Dupin for a few days now, ever since Annick introduced the plan but every time he was with his stupid friends.

Like today, he was sitting across the library from us with Descamps, pretending to work on homework. I sighed in frustration as he once again chose to try and put Descamps in a headlock instead of actually doing his work. And he needed to too, he failed almost every test.

"What if you actually fall for him?" Simone asked from my right. Annick and I looked at her in amusement, our own studying long forgotten. I patted the girl's shoulder and suppressed a giggle.

"You're too much of a romantic Simone," I said and glanced back at Dupin who was now loudly eating chips, "I think I'll somehow resist his charm.." I muttered. Annick laughed softly and nodded her head in agreement. It honestly surprised me she was so on board with the plan, it was a little manipulative.

I wasn't proud of the levels I was stopping to but my complete hatred for Descamps over took me. He had done nothing but tease and then humiliate me, all while wearing that little smirk.
I stood up and scooted the wooden library chair back, smiling at Simone and Annick as I did so.
"I'm going to do it" I said bravely and the two girls gave me surprised yet amused grins.

I began walking over, trying to hide the nerves suddenly taking over me as the reality of talking to Dupin sank in. Everything I would rather be doing flashed through my mind but my feet kept carrying me closer towards the sitting pair. Descamps raised his head and we made eye contact, his smile dropping, he sat up straighter. I looked away back to Dupin who was doodling a pair of boobs on his homework.

I stood for a moment before speaking, "Hi Dupin". My voice was slightly sweeter than usual, a charming little grin on my face. His head shot up and Dupin looked back at me with a confused look on his face. I could see Descamps lean on the table in interest, his hand moving to hold his chin.

"Hi," Dupin began before clearing his throat and responding in a deeper tone than before, "Hey Lydia". I resisted the strong urge to laugh at his attempt to seem more masculine, moving to sit down in the chair directly across from both of them. I looked at Descamps, glancing to his prominent Adam's apple before I averted my eyes to Dupin.

"I've been struggling so much in Chemistry and I heard you were really good at it", I began charmingly, adjusting the collar of my shirt slightly. I wasn't surprised in the slightest when Dupin's eyes quickly darted to my chest despite the complete lack of exposure. I stifled an eye roll and continued, "Do you think you could me a big favor and tutor me sometime soon?" I asked, biting my bottom lip softly in an attempt to appear nervous.

"I thought you got the highest mark on the last test?" Descamps interjected, his eyebrows furrowed in a fake curious expression. He wasn't hiding his emotions well though, I could see right through his feigned concern, jealously was reeling its ugly head. I gritted my teeth at his question and my mind raced for a plausible lie.

I leaned closer to him, "Yeah but the homework for this unit is more difficult than last time" there was a slight bitter edge to my voice as I responded to the one boy I didn't want to talk to. Descamps leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms over his chest, I did my best to avoid watching how his broad and muscular chest flexed. Not looking was my own form of torture.

Dupin nodded quickly, "Yeah, yeah of course we can do it tomorrow at my house" he volunteered and his brown eyes glinted with excitement. I was in for way more than I planned for, I never actually intended to spend any time alone with him. A glimpse of panic must have been evident on my face because Descamps smirked from across the table. I turned to him and felt like a predator's prey the way his eyes were narrowed, my plan was beginning to unravel before my very eyes.