sixteen

The headmaster's small dark eyes bore into mine with no expression, "Blanchet, I expected better than this," his frown deepend, "one more mistake and your nomination for head girl will be revoked." I felt a pit form in my stomach at his reprimanding words. I didn't understand how I could be so stupid, doing something like that in front of the entire school. I'd never acted out so severely before. Bellanger turned his scrutinizing gaze to Descamps who was sitting in his chair, an amused smile resting on his face.  "And you, Descamps I don't want to bring your mother in but if this behavior continues, a mandatory parent meeting will be arranged. Now go clean up."

As I walked away from the school in an outfit lended to me from the Nurse, I was vaguely aware of Descamps trailing behind me. My glared at random buildings ahead of me while my neck burned from his stare. It seemed like he was just as livid, he didn't bother trying to catch up to me to talk about anything that had happened in the past 24 hours. 

A few strangers gave me a curious look, my hair was still stained with splatter from food. One elderly woman looked at me as if I was a circus attraction and I smiled slightly, knowing she'd do the same to Descamps. Finally I walked past Descamps house, the bright red door working as a beacon of hope because it meant that he'd finally leave me alone. 

After a few steps, I dared give a glance back and watched out of the corner of my eye as he quickly opened the door before he slammed it shut. I rolled my eyes at his little tantrum, what did he have to be mad about anyways? He threw the food first, the entire thing was on him.

I walked into my own home and immediately jumped into the shower, feeling the hot water wash away both the food and my blame on Descamps. I shouldn't have given into his antics like that, Bellanger was right. This was the type of thing he did so effortlessly, he was an asshole who just loved to tease people in the worst ways possible. I wasn't like that, right?

I shook my head to myself, water flinging onto the chipped tile wall as I did. Maybe I was just as bad as him in my own way, it wasn't like I was a great person either. I was lying to everyone about Descamps, not even telling Annick about our kiss. I accidentally told the most threatening person at school my friends secrets, I didn't tell Simone her little boyfriend was a cheater and I certainty didn't mention our study session to her. I even stoop as low as using Dupin to make Descamps jealous. 

I graoned and massaged shampoo deep into my scalp in an attempt to soothe the guilty headache coming on. I had messed up and I couldn't hide from it any longer but that didn't mean I couldn't try.

I just had to be on my best behavior the next few weeks. 

The next morning in the court yard, Annick, Simone, Michelle and I all stood together in pairs across from each other. Michelle had her arms crossed in front of her and if  t weren't for the cold air I would've assumed it was because she was upset. I swallowed nervously at the thought.

Simone brushed her dark bangs out of her face and sniffled before speaking, "Descamps is such a prick to you Lydia."

I nodded before Michelle spoke up, "I think she likes it" she said in a teasing tone though deep down I felt like there was more to it than that. I knew she hated him, unquestionably more than I ever did. He still bullied Laubrac though Michelle didn't know how lucky she was he didn't tell anyone about the secret relationship she had. I was lucky too.

"What do you mean? Why on earth would she like that?" Annick asked with her light brown eyebrows strung up in confusion. Her bright eyes were questioning like they usually were.