They Had It All

There's no doubt that when Agnetha's song 'I Keep Them On the Floor Beside My Bed' was released the majority of listeners gathered that this song was written in reflection to the relationship she had with Björn. It doesn't have to be stated anywhere for the same thought is concluded when there are plenty of fans who've created edits and videos that consist of a compilation of images of Agnetha and Björn. You just know. The narrative of the song fits the history of the relationship. The official music video depicts a relationship so close to the resemblance of the two, and if I wasn't to say it now, a list of others have already made the comment beneath the comments section on YouTube long before I ever stumbled upon it.

The song was written by her and Jörgen Elofsson for her 2013 album, and although she had stated she had it in mind to make it a children's lullaby, it turned into the song we know. If you ever had the possibility of forgetting, the ballad goes back to share about the memory of walking out of the relationship she was in and how she should have stayed instead. It must be thoughts that come and go frequently because these memories are kept beside 'her' bed, and they are pulled out often.

Now, there are two subjects to take note of in any song. In this one there is Agnetha, the woman who is telling a narrative, as she likes to say, 'like playing a role in a movie', and the subject within the song, in other words, the character. Listeners can differentiate what is about a fictional character and what comes from the heart depending on the lyrics expressed and based on the background you know of that person. Knowing as much as is told, conclusions can be made this particular one is personal and from the heart, as was her first single 'Jag var så kar', unlike another self-penned song such as 'Zigenarvän', a charming song about a gypsy friend.

And if we do say, hey, this is truly about her... Does she actually pull those pictures out, I mean, literally? And are they actually kept beside her bed? No, I doubt it. For the most part, things aren't that literal, but they work to unfold the story. That's where it could be understood that the subject matter is factual, yet the storytelling is fiction. So when you hear Björn Ulvaeus mention that it's just fiction... you know what he's saying.

As fiction as the ballad could be made, a lot of feelings were elicited in the song. Agnetha's talent of expression is unmatched. Her voice brings a feeling of pain and comfort in a mysterious way. Separating her delivery of the piece from what lyrics were composed, there's context that we are left with. Context that speaks all on its own, knowing it has come from her, and knowing that what came from her words, came from her feelings, and her feelings were derived from experiences.

Despite the depth of the beautifully composed song, it's not really what I'm here to highlight. I am not going to imply any song is written for anyone. I am not going to suggest this is really what she feels, still and now. You can stay the judge of whatever.

So let's tuck it away for just a minute. Instead, I want to introduce to you to another beautiful ballad.

This past year, Benjamin Ingrosso released a song he produced with lyrics written by both him and Björn. He delivers the song emotionally and it's quite moving the way the melody and the lyrics fall together to paint the picture. It was even featured in Benjamin's TV series, 'Benjamin's' where he invites Swedish celebrities to dinner, and in one episode he performs their song for Björn and others with him.

I wouldn't be the first to share that Björn's lyrics touch a person's soul somehow. Nothing speaks like his lyrics do. They convey stories and feelings, perfectly describing a scene in such detail that one would feel themselves a part of the narrative.

There's rich depth in this ballad that sings again and again, 'I Had It All and Let It Go.' Many things captured me about it, such as the lyrics, the sadness, and the lovely voice of Benjamin falling against the sound of the organ. Though what hooked me was nothing about the song as much as connections that were made from one song to the other.

Yes, exactly. 'I Keep Them On the Floor Beside My Bed' and 'I Had It All and Let It Go'. Being put side by side, they appeared like two coded love letters shared back and forth. The same shared experience, different perspectives. As if Agnetha speaks, Björn answers. The use of the same words, phrases, and emotional expression is something to take note of.

2013:
I had it all by then
But I lost myself somehow

2023:
I had it all and let it go

2013:
The images rewind
I lose myself in time
The movie still plays on inside my head

2023:
The images that I recall
Perhaps they don't resemble yours at all

2013:
I knew I had to leave that day
I couldn't take it anymore

2023:
I spoke too loud, I ran too fast
Until you gave up at last

2013:
I never thought I'd hurt this much

2023:
And it hurts to know
I had it all and let it go

2013:
I'm a fool and that's a fact
I'm a fool now I can see
Our love was meant to be

2023:
A perfect place for such a fool
Without you my life is cruel

The parallel choice of words doesn't stop at one song. This wasn't the only song from Agnetha's album that seems to reflect and respond to the fallen relationship. For another, there is the connection with 'When You Really Loved Someone':

2013:
Save your heart, they say
No more crying in the dark
Gotta break loose have some fun,
Let yourself go, come undone
I know your friends mean well but...

2023:
Now all our friends know that you're gone
They're telling me life must go on
They ask me out and I say never
I have no interest whatsoever

These coded lyrics all share the same pain from different perspectives. And above all the lines he had written in the song, it only comes down to being with her as the subject in mind as Benjamin sings the words, "Those dizzy heights I call it bliss, and now to cope is all there is," leaving 'dizzy heights' as a reference to the glory of the ABBA days. Memories, images, achievements, and truly the most active periods of their lives happened within those ten years, a time they shared together.

But Björn's words about coping with 'his feelings' have been featured a few times. He mentions coping within this 2023 ballad, as well as in ABBA's 2021 'I Still Have Faith In You', where we hear it in his lyrics: "I have learned to cope, and love and hope is why I am here now." And as most know, this song was written in reflection to the special bond between him, Agnetha, Frida and Benny. For him to write his feelings in the form of lyrics shows that this is his way of coping.

Four decades later but the subject matter never changed, whether for ABBA or one song for Benjamin Ingrosso to perform. It's all written by the same person, therefore the feelings expressed are of that person's. And as it is, the storyline will carry wherever Björn's pen touches a page. Like he writes for 'I Had It All and Let It Go', "As if it wasn't all about you."

Though, who are we to say 'This is about him,' or 'This is about her'— even if he had plainly just said it, too? Everything Björn has to say can be found in a song. 'I Keep Them On the Floor Beside My Bed' and 'I Had It All and Let It Go' appear like a pair of songs with a corresponding story, told by different point of views, and what we are left with is only a thought, a connection made from Point A to Point B. Sure it can be a coincidence. Coincidences happen often, sort of like the fact the only song from Agnetha's 'A+' to be given a Christmas edition is 'I Keep Them On the Floor Beside My Bed'... You know, the song where she speaks of the regrets of walking out, and as history has told us, she left Björn on Christmas Day. That one is a coincidence... right?

Believe it or not, these are not the only songs written by these two talented lyricists which have some sort of coded link. There's still a few more. Can you guess what other ones are A + B coded?