Chapter 1 - the lodger

The next day saw Farah going to the cemetery to visit her grandmother's grave. After her close call with that almost suicide attempt, she needed to talk to someone about it. Granted she was only going to be talking to a block of carved granite but she always felt better after doing it. Plus whenever she spoke to the headstone, it really did feel like her grandmother was present.

The 23 year old knelt down and gently traced her grandmother's name: Elizabeth Sladen. "Hey nanna", she greeted "I um...have something to tell you and I know you're going to be very disappointed when you hear it" she took a deep breath to compose herself "yesterday I...I nearly killed myself. All those emotions...I couldn't breathe..." Farah wiped away some tears that had rolled down her cheeks "I just wanted it to go away. So I...I went to the pool and was about to get in when I realised that I was about to make the biggest mistake of my life. By being selfish and ending my life, I would've been leaving mum alone and I can't do that to her" the ginger tucked a piece of hair behind her ear "mum can never know what I did. It would...it would worry her" Farah kissed her hand and placed it on the granite "I love you". She stood up, looking down at the grave.

"Losing a loved one is never easy", a Scottish male voice spoke up behind her. She glanced back to see an older man wearing a suit with a long black coat that had a red lining.

"You can say that again", the empath agreed.

"Can I offer you some advice?" the man questioned.

"If I say 'go ahead' and you spout some 'one day at a time' crap at me, I will smack you", the 23 year old said firmly. She was fed up with people saying things like that to her. Those were usually the ones who didn't understand what she was going through. The only person who could get away with it was James but that was because she knew he was being sincere. Everyone else it sounded so rehearsed....so fake it mad her want to hit something and she wasn't a violent woman by nature.

The newcomer put his hands up "its nothing like that, I promise", he assured her.

"By all means, go ahead", Farah said, giving him the verbal ok to proceed.

"The best way to deal with grief is to just keep going", the Scotsman recited "Just keep living for the people we still have in our lives. Mothers, fathers, siblings, childhood friends. You need to keep going for them", the newcomer said "We also need to live for those we have lost too for they're never truly gone. They still live within our memories and our hearts".

Farah felt strangely comforted by his words. They also made a lot of sense to her too. "Thank you", she said softly "I'll definitely try to follow your advice".

"Do or do not. There is no try", the newcomer quoted and the empath burst into laughter.

"Sorry, it's just...that's a line from my favourite bunch of movies", Farah explained between giggles. The ginger took a breath to calm down "anyway, I um...better get going. Thanks again for the advice".

"You're welcome", the man murmured, watching her leave "my brilliant Fay".

The Doctor turned and walked away hands in his pockets. "Doctor", came Farah's voice from behind him. He stopped and turned around to see the same ginger that he'd just left. Well, not exactly as she was wearing a mint green Grecian style dress that was a little worse for wear.

"I see you met Caecilius", he states, knowing exactly where she'd been.

"I have", the ginger confirmed with a nod. The empath took several steps forward raised her hand and placed it gently on his cheek. The Doctor closed his eyes, leaning into her touch like he'd done so many times before.

"I must look like an old man in your eyes", he said quietly, the words very similar to what she said to him on the Titanic after he'd told her how old he was.