Out Of The Woods

Cole Walter and marley McKenna used to be best friends. Inseparable, some may say.

Until the crash happened.

——

One year ago

It was mid summer, and the warm sun was just about to go down under the Colorado hills. Marley was sat on her front porch, waiting to see cole driving up. They only lived two minutes away from each other.

He had just passed his driving test that week, and he was so excited. Marley didn't know where they were going. Cole told her it was a surprise.

He soon pulled up, music blasting from the car, the windows fully rolled down. He stuck his head out the window. "You ready, marls?" He shouted with a smirk.

Marley ran up to the car, immediately hopping into the passenger side. "Are you gonna tell me where we're going yet?" She questioned him with a smile as they drove away from the house.

Cole took a small look at her before returning his eyes back to the road. "No way. I told you it was a surprise." He said.

The two were driving for what felt like an hour or two, and it had soon gotten dark. Cole drove them down a small road, that had trees lining both sides of it. There was a bunch of bumps.

"Jesus..." marley said, gripping onto her seat for extra support. Cole gripped his steering wheel. He looked nervous.

"I don't really trust this. I should probably reroute." He said quietly to himself. He spun the car around and began heading the other way.

All of a sudden, a deer ran out onto the middle of the road, causing Cole to immediately hit the brakes. But the car didn't stop moving.

Coles arm immediately went across marleys chest, and she gripped onto his shoulder.

"Cole!" She yelled as the car continued to spin out of control. Be began to mutter 'it's okay, your okay' over and over. But it wasnt fine. They weren't gonna be okay. He didn't get control of the car.

The car span to the edge of the hill, and then began to tumble down it, causing the windscreen to shatter. The tiny shards of glass left small cuts all over the teenagers faces.

When the emergency services came, the car was flipped upside down and both teenagers were unresponsive.

The next thing marley remembers was hearing a weird beeping noise. She opened her eyes to see her mother, father and older brother towering over her, worried looks splattered across their faces.

"Go get a doctor. Go get a doctor, Andrew!" Marleys mom, stacey yelled. Andrew immediately ran off.

"What the fuck happened?" Marley barley managed to croak out, sitting up on her hospital bed. She looked down to find a small cast on her wrist.

"Y-you don't remember?" Jude, her brother, asked her, a bewildered look on his face. Just then, marley saw a frantic Katherine and George Walter rushing past her room.

Then she remembered.

"Where's cole?" She asked her mom and brother. They didn't answer.

"Where is cole, mom?" Marley asked again, only louder this time.

Her mom sighed, taking a tight hold of her daughters hand. "He's...fine. You both had a concussion..." stacey said. Marley knew there was more to the story.

"And what else..." the girl pushed.

Stacey pursed her lip. "Well, uh, he's shattered his tibia... which means as of right now, he's unable to walk on that leg."

——

This is my second cole Walter book as I got bored of my other one😛😛😛