Chapter 1

Knock knock knock. It's pouring outside. You can hear the rain as it pelts the roof of your home, echoing the sound of rocks more than that of water. But the knocking is a noise completely separate from the rain; one that is out of place in the quiet of your bedroom. You turn over in your bed, gazing at the window at the far wall. You perceive a figure residing on the other side, smudges of deep blue set around sunken-in voids. It lifts its hand, tapping at your window again.

You yawned, blinking at the figure and staring back before getting up and turning on the light, walking out for a moment before walking back in with a towel, opening the window and letting him climb inside, placing the towel into his hands
"I'm not letting you get my floors wet. Dry off and take off your boots."
You grumbled, half asleep as you looked at him with slight annoyance.

That was... Unexpected. You seem to have no reservations whatsoever about letting this... thing... inside.

He stares at you for a moment, the rain running in rivulets off his arms and forming puddles at his feet. He reaches for the towel, dabbing his head with it, which, given his face, has very little effect in the way of drying it. He gives you a small smile, his teeth sharp and pointed.

He removes his boots at your request and sets them next to the window.

"Nice. Follow me, you must be really cold." You said, gesturing for him to follow you and leading him into the kitchen, taking out two mugs and a packet of tea.

"Sit down at the island, are you hungry? I have some homemade cookies." You asked, filling up a metal kettle with water, starting the stove, and placing it on the flame. You turned to him, waiting for a response.

He follows you and sits at the island as you requested. He pauses only to look down at the cookies you mentioned, then back up at you. You're being surprisingly generous here. The thought of being eaten has not crossed your mind. It almost makes him wonder why there was no resistance. "Yes, I am hungry. Those cookies... they smell delicious."

"Jesus, your throat sounds dry. Here, some candied ginger is in this bowl."
You slid the bowl over to him, taking some neatly wrapped cookies off a shelf in your pantry and unwrapping the plastic, placing them in front of him as well.

He is surprised by your kindness but decides to accept it. He accepts the bowl of candied ginger and takes a few chews, the moisture of the candy melting onto his tongue. He gives you a thankful nod, reaching for one of the cookies.

As he bites into one, his eyes roll back a bit as he enjoys the flavor. He doesn't know it yet, but he has a sweet tooth. That was obvious. He quickly shovels another cookie into his mouth as he eyes you cautiously.

You turned around as the kettle whistled suddenly, not being surprised by the sudden loud sound and yawning again, placing the kettle to the side burner of the stove and turning off the other one. You poured the tea into a French press, and then the hot water, and then let it sit.

"Chamomile and Jasmine. I grew most of the herbs myself, I have a garden out back." You nodded towards the drying herbs on the walls and hanging up above the island.

He watches you as you tend to the kettle, his eyes narrow as he tries to process this encounter. How are you not afraid of him? He's a man-eating demon! He's eaten a handful of people! And yet you're offering him tea and cookies as if you two were having a picnic... he takes another bite of the delicious cookie and swallows. "Garden? What do you grow?"

"Chamomile, mint, wolfsbane, rosemary, Catnip, stuff like that."
a calico cat suddenly jumped up on the island, walking over to me and rubbing its head against your arm. You rubbed behind its ears with a smile, picking it up like a baby and holding it as it purred, making kissing sounds at it.
"And this is Dahlia, my love, my little lady. She is the one kid that I don't have to pay child support for. Aren't you? Aren't you? Your momma isn't a theiving bitch, huh?" You said, rubbing her chin.