Chapter 3

About an hour later, you were finally done, and we both hauled the meat in. You placed access to it into a freezer, deciding on sandwiches for lunch.

"Can you eat raw organs of any animal?" You asked, slicing chicken up for the sandwiches in your kitchen, Jack sitting at the island. He hakes his head, looking at the chicken you were chopping up now.

"I am unable to eat raw animal organs. There's no value to me in consuming things such as that. I only consume fully cooked meat, and even then, I have my preferences. Why do you ask?"

"It has to be human? Or do you cook those as well?"

He seemed to consider your question for a moment before answering with a small shrug. "I prefer it cooked, I admit, but I do not need to cook it. The human mind is a strange one, and sometimes, even I feel like I need to cook my meat. Other times, I don't care for the taste difference and eat it raw when I feel like it."

"That's fair, I mean, heart is better cooked. I've found that flesh has a pig-like consistency, with a hint of alligator." You said, placing the chicken on the bread.

"Ah yes... flesh. I've definitely heard that before." He chuckled slightly, not quite used to referring to it in that manner.

Jack looks over at the cooked chicken sandwich and seems ready to eat it. The smell is tantalizing, and he can't help but get a little excited.

You placed the finished sandwich in front of him with a glass of ice water, starting to eat your own.

Jack digs into the sandwich without hesitation, devouring it quickly. He almost seems to be enjoying it, although it's hard to tell with his lack of facial expressions. He finishes in just a matter of moments, looking up at you and speaking with a mouthful of food. "That... was delicious."

You laughed, covering my mouth as you swallowed. "Chew, Jack. Don't choke on it, I can't have my best farmhand dying on me."

Jack swallows the mouthful down and chuckles once again as he hears the comment.

"Sorry about that. I just got a bit excited. If this is your cooking, then your meals are a great incentive for me to do my best work possible."

He shrugs and wipes some of the crumbs from his face with his forearm, seeming slightly ashamed for eating so quickly.

"Don't you have a home to go back to? I mean, I don't mind if you stay, but I don't want to keep you from your living situation." You asked, sipping your water.

Jack seems at a loss for a moment.

"I... don't really have a place to go back to at the moment. I've sort of been wandering around for a while. It's no trouble to stay here for a while, though... if you're willing to let me."

"Stay here for as long as you need. I've got food and a bed for you, as long as you earn your keep, which I'm safe to say I think you will."

Jack can't help but grin at your response. You were very kind-natured, in his opinion, and not as scared of his appearance as he had expected you to be. "Thank you. I really appreciate the kindness you are showing me right now."

"You don't have to thank me, really. I've taken a liking to you, Jack, so you're welcome here for as long as you like." You said, placing your plates and glasses into the sink, turning to look at him.

"I need a shower, and then I'm going to read for a while. There's another spare bathroom, and you can use the clothes in the drawers of the guest room, so if you want to take a shower, you can. I suggest you do. We both smell like death and blood."
You chuckled, walking to your room.