Chapter 5: Checkmate: Alex's Gambit

++++++++++++++++

+Flashback+

"Lieutenant Alex, we need a plan at once." Captain Niko said and looked at Alex.

Under the cloak of darkness, Fort Valor Ridge stood silent, its defenses bolstered in anticipation of the impending conflict. Captain Nikolai "Niko" Ivanov paced the command center, his face etched with concern as reports of enemy movements intensified. The stakes had never been higher, and the fate of their mission hung precariously in the balance.

Amid the tension, Alex Turner, his mind racing with a daring plan, sought a private audience with Captain Ivanov. "Sir," he began, his voice steady despite the gravity of his proposal, "I have a strategy that could turn the tide in our favor, but it comes with great risk."

Niko eyed Alex curiously, sensing the determination and resolve in his subordinate's gaze. "Speak," he commanded, granting Alex his full attention.

Taking a deep breath, Alex outlined his audacious plan-a high-stakes gambit that involved surrendering himself to the enemy in a desperate bid. Incase their original plan heads south, costing one of the higher rank's lives--Captain Niko being one of them. The plan was fraught with peril, but Alex believed it was their only chance to gain a strategic advantage over the Shadowfell forces.

As Alex detailed his strategy, a hushed silence fell over the command center, the weight of his proposal hanging heavily in the air. Captain Ivanov, recognizing the potential benefits but acutely aware of the dangers involved, deliberated carefully before giving his approval.

Thus, with the pieces set in motion, Alex prepared to embark on a perilous journey into the heart of enemy territory, guided by a daring plan that would either lead to a triumphant victory or a devastating checkmate.

+End of Flashback+

++++++++++++++++

Lena lowers her rifle and sighs, but lets out a chuckle, "My my, little American wants to play the stupid card of getting captured? How pathetic." She taunted once more. "I would like to know how this will go. I love the thought of torturing you numerously, seeing the look of defeat wash over your face." She chuckled once more. "So be it." She agreed and had the soldiers place a blindfold over his eyes and bonded his hand together, escorting him off the battlefield while Captain Niko and the soldiers return back to base, "Goodluck Lieutenant, I hope you know what you are doing." He whispered. Seeing his presence vanish into the mist.

++++++++++++++++

After willingly surrendering himself to the Shadowfell forces, Alex found himself thrust into a world far removed from the familiar confines of Fort Valor Ridge. Bound and blindfolded, he was escorted through a labyrinthine network of tunnels beneath the Shadowfell Bastion, the cold, damp air serving as a chilling reminder of his precarious situation.

Upon his arrival, Alex was interrogated relentlessly by Shadowfell's high command, their questions probing for information about Fort Valor Ridge's defenses, troop movements, and strategic plans. Though subjected to physical and psychological duress, he remained steadfast, refusing to betray his comrades or compromise their mission.

After the blindfolded being taken off, he was now restrained to a chair, what looked like a confession room, where they interrogate the soldiers who either betrayed them or been captured. The sound of a door opening catches Alex's attention, glancing to see a soldier and Lena at the doorway, "Let me handle this one Gary, at ease." She spoke while the soldier gave her a nod and walked back out.

"Now, let us start from the beginning." she spoke up, placing one of her legs on the edge of the chair, holding a knife beside his neck. "Who are you?"