Gone

I heard what sounded like fingernails against the glass and opened my eyes. I saw a bunch of those dead people outside the IWV trying to claw their way in. Which was quite ridiculous since it was obvious it was impenetrable. I cocked my head and studied them, now that I thought about it they didn't seem to be very intelligent, in fact, they didn't seem to be thinking at all. I was curious why some of them were missing appendages or how they had gaping holes in their body, yet they were still walking and moving. I also wondered how they knew I was in here, the IWV had black tinted windows making it literally impossible to see in. Shrugging my shoulders, I started up the machine and rolled over the undead cannibals.

I pulled out of the woods and realized that the people I had found were now gone. "Damn it." I groaned and decided my best course was to go towards the highway and try and let the IWV pick up the heat from the groups cars.

After driving for so long, I found a stretch of abandoned cars and pulled over. Since there was no luck finding that particular group again I decided to stop and raid the cars for whatever I could find. I looked in a truck and found a tent along with a sleeping bag and a pack of matches. Next was a car with a duffel bag filled with women's clothes. I was grateful considering I hadn't thought of grabbing any, all I had was the black shirt, white shorts, and black combat boots I had left in. I put my findings in my vehicle and kept searching. After about two hours I had found more food, weapons, and clothes. As I looked around I wondered why all these people just stopped here instead of still going, it wasn't until I was back in my own vehicle that I realized that they ran on gas instead of solar power like the IWV. All these people ran out of gas and were either demolished by the undead or probably died of starvation, I concluded it was highly improbable for any of them surviving without transportation.

I stored all my information and theories in the back of my mind and tucked a dark curl of my hair behind my ear. I decided to wait here for another group to pass so I could join or observe them.

After it became nightfall I grew bored and decided to take inventory of what had ready been in the IWV before I took it. The vehicle looked as if it were crossed between an SUV and a Tank. The back seats had been taken out and replaced with a long bench like rows on the sides. I lifted them up and found more weapons and a few more solar powered devices. I picked one up and realized it was a GPS in which I only had to attach it to a vehicle and I could easily find it no matter what. That would have been good to know last night. I also found a few grenades, and a couple of pillows and a blanket. I put all my stuff under the other bench and laid out the pillows and blanket along with the sleeping bag out in the small middle aisle and climbed in my makeshift bed.

When I woke the next morning I heard the rip of a motorcycle and immediately sat up. When I looked out of the window I saw an RV pass by along with various other cars. I jumped up and stripped out of my clothes and changed into a black top, a leather jacket, and some jeans, I slipped on my combat boots and climbed behind the wheel to follow this new group I found. I didn't even start it up before they stopped. I saw them get out and watched as they gathered into a small circle. They finally broke up and started walking around for a while looking in the cars like I had done. I felt my stomach drop and instantly knew something was wrong. I pulled up the cameras on the IWV and saw what my intuition had been warning me on. A large herd of the undead was traveling up the highway towards this group. I knew there was no way to warn the group without attracting the undead and hurrying them faster. I could only hope the group would see them and save themselves.

I watched from the IWV like it was some bad horror film, I would know, I watched those on my spare time at the facility. I noticed they all ducked under cars and let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. The flesh eaters finally passed and I smiled. Thankfully these people weren't complete morons. I climbed out after grabbing my recurve bow and arrows and headed towards the group, but before I could reach them, I heard a little girl scream and watched as she disappeared into the woods with a flesh eater right behind her. I immediately ran into the woods parallel to her. I was built to survive. In order to survive, I needed to be with a group. In order to be with this group, I was going to have to save this girl.

And that's exactly what I planned on doing.