Chapter 7

Asher :
2 Am

Asher was sitting in his living room with the mess of papers all around him. He didn't sleep at all because he wanted to reach the bottom of Mehmood Zaidi's case. He studied the case file over and over again but couldn't concentrate due to a million different thoughts running through his mind. He closed his eyes and all he could think was of what Arhaan had mentioned earlier that evening. He got up and started making pasta to divert his mind. When that didn't work he took his journal out of the first drawer from his side table and strated writing on it.

14th April 2023
2:30 Am
I'm still here

It's been three years already and my life has never been the same.
I don't complain about my suffering to people.They can't understand how I feel because they've not experienced it. Not like I want them to experience it. I would never even want an enemy to go through this. I can't express myself because I don't want people to sympathize with me I don't want to hear the words of comfort . I've heard them a million times , they don't comfort me at all and they can't fill the void. Sometimes you don't need the words of comfort you just need a shoulder to cry on , someone to hear without giving advices or judgments.
I want to sit on her grave and loose myself there. Life is so unfair that sometimes it makes me furious I want to scream , yell and tell everyone how I feel but my lips are sealed. I only complain about my suffering to ALLAH. It hurts that you'll never know Raha how many silent prayers I've said to get you back. You'll never know much I miss you everyday. You'll never know that life is a curse without you.

After closing the journal he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Sitting on the office chair in his living room he found himself thinking about her. He instantly remembered her words , her voice and her facial expressions. "Kidher chalay gayay hain ap baba". Her voice carried so much agony that it gave him a sensation of crippling affliction too. She knows how it feels to loose someone he thought to himself.

He snapped out of his thoughts when his phone started vibrating. It was a phone call from an unknown number. He recognized the voice in an instant. It was her voice.

"Assalamualaikum I'm Mihrimah Zaidi I'm really sorry to disturb you at this moment I just remembered something. It was important so I thought I should let you know".

"How did you get my number?"

"Mr Fyodor gave me your number so that I can contact you regarding the case." She waited for him to say something but when he didn't say anything she continued.

"I wanted to tell you that my father's journal is missing too. He use to journal everyday, he kept his journal in the office but it wasn't in his belongings which they returned me during the police investigation".

"Are you sure the journal isn't with you ?"

" Yes I am I've checked it everywhere."

" Okay we'll check his office again and see what we can do."

"Ap unhain dhoodnlain gey na ?" ( Will you find him?)

He was quite for a second and then he said "We will try our best Miss Zaidi." with that he ended the call.

No matter how hard he tried to solve this
puzzle it got more complicated. This case was still an enigma to him. He sat there for another half an hour thinking about it. Something about her voice made him want to comfort her and give her hope but he wanted to keep a professional approach towards her. It was Sunday and he didn't have to leave early for work so he slept after praying Fajar.