3. Smashing Rocks

"Here, you need a hand with that?" Dakota asked, slowly approaching Carl.

The boy looked up from his spot on the floor hammer in hand, and gave her an appreciative nod, "Sure."

She lowered herself onto the ground beside him, falling into a silence as she helped him build the crosses out of spare wood, knowing he's making them for the graves of those that had fallen during Patrick's attack.

Footsteps sounded a few moments later and Dakota glanced up, smiling at the sight of Carol.

"Hey," The older woman greeted softly, "Do you think you could give Carl and I a minute, Kota?"

The red haired girl felt her smile slowly fade, looking to the boy next to her in confusion, but he only looked at Carol, not sparring Dakota a glance or explanation.

With lips pulled into a tight line, the girl nodded and rose to her feet, quietly leaving the room, trying to pretend as if she wasn't a little bit hurt at whatever just occurred.

Dakota shoved her hands into the pocket of her hoodie and began aimlessly wandering the many halls of the prison, not having or knowing what else to do.

She could listen to her walkman or try to use her ax, but those were both back in her cell, and in order to get to them she would have to go back through the room that Carol and Carl were in, she didn't want to interrupt whatever was going on with them.

Her eyes were trained on the ground as she kicked a rock down the hall, wandering after it and kicking it as far as she could again- when she ran into someone turning the corner just as she went to turn it from the opposite direction.

Immediately, both bodies were sent stumbling back, hers more so than the other though, and she looked up with wide eyes, "Oh, I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking- oh. It's you." Her apologetic look dropped into one of annoyance and boredom.

Daryl scowled down at her, a glare set upon his features, "Watch where yer goin'."

"You first," She snipped back, "I have an excuse because I'm younger. You're a grown ass man who can't be bothered to watch where he's going as he turns a corner."

"Don't curse." He scolded, rolling his eyes at her dramatics.

"Don't curse." She mocked back in a high pitched voice.

His glare hardened, "I'm serious, knock it off."

"I'm serious, knock it off." Though her arms were crossed, amusement danced in her eyes.

"Why, you little-"

"Y'all best not be fighting again," A new voice announced itself as it drew closer to where they were standing.

The bickering duo turned around to face Maggie, a stern look in her eyes, "Rick'll have your heads if he hears that you two are arguing again."

Daryl scoffed, "She started it."

Maggie raised her eyebrows at him, an unamused look resting on her face, "Real mature."

"Yeah," Dakota turned to him with a mischievous smirk, "Real mature."

"Hey," Maggie gently pulled her back by the shoulder, "You too, young lady."

The young girl looked up at her, plastering a sweet smile across her face, "I'm sorry, Margret."

She shook her head back and forth, "Don't apologize to me, apologize to him." She jerked her chin in Dixon's direction.

It was then the man's turn to smirk, lazily crossing his arms over his chest and waiting for the words to come.