02 - not my homeland

TW: mentions of blood, weapons

Boston, New York
Quarantine Zone
August 13th, 2023

The sound of shoes hitting the wet concrete echoed down the alley. Celia laughed lightly to herself, whipping a bit of blood from her bottom lip. Her hands wrapped around the wet and ever rusting metal of an old fire escape. Pulling herself up the latter, climbing a few flights before jumping through a window, dropping down into a small room.

The room was small, 10 by 12 at most. A twin size bed was pressed to the corner, a couch was against the opposite wall. There was a small dresser and desk on, next to it, a small dog bed with a sleeping dog curled in a ball.

"I was starting to get worried." Jackson voice came out rasp. He was laying on the couch, a blanket was pulled over the top of his body up to his neck, however his feet were sticking out.

"Sorry, they put up more of a fight than I thought." Celia walked to the bed in the corner, pulling her backpack off her shoulder and dropping it onto the ground. A muffled sound echoed off the rotting wood floor. Kenai, the dog that was previously sleeps, sat up and yawned.

"But you got what we needed right?" Jackson sat up, yawning just like the dog, while Celia sat on the edge of the bed. She dragged the backpack between her feet and unzipped it quickly, pulling something out and tossing it to the boy.

"The Firefly's will be all good. Fedra won't know a thing." Celia smiled and fell back into the bed, the mattress squeaking softly.

Now I know you have a few questions so let me answer some of them. Right after the outbreak on October 17th, evacuation notices were sent out and quarantine zones were announced. Celia and Jackson found themselves closer to the Boston QZ. After all they had been running as far from Alabama as they could, so it wasn't too shocking they ended up that far that soon.

Right after, the US government bombed all surrounding buildings in attempts to kill off as many infected as possible. The good thing is, it worked really well for the first year or so. But the infected that survived the bombings slowly began to repopulate.

Celia and Jackson planned to stay at the QZ where they would be safe, that was until they realized just how fucked up it was. The government ran all the active Quarantine Zones in America. Turns out the government was more corrupted than everyone initially thought. It was no surprise when a rebellion formed, they called themselves the Firefly's. Eventually the young boy and girl found themselves running jobs for the firefly's more often then not.

"Alison's going to be happy about this." Jackson said after a moment of silence. Alison was a big name within the firefly's. Not many people had actually met her, Celia and Jackson included. But everyone wanted her approval.

"Are we dropping this off to Colter tomorrow then?" Celia began to take her shoes off, it had been a long day, all she wanted was to go to bed at this point.

"No he's coming by tonight" Jackson ran his hand through his chestnut brown hair, pushing it back as he tried to blink sleep from his eyes

"What why?" Celia almost groaned. The pair had met Colter here in the QZ just after arriving, they got super close with him and a girl named Parker. Colter had this shaggy light brown hair with warm eyes that complemented his soft face. He was about 5'9 and always joking about something. Parker on the other hand had straight, long, dark hair that was almost black with these bright green eyes. She was like the mother of the group but she was quite too.