[ 014 ] life or death.

HEARING DAMAGE
TEEN NOLA - CHAPTER FOURTEEN !

            THE HEAVIEST OF SIGHS had tumbled past her lips as her body had been totally enveloped by the freezing cold temperatures of the lake

THE HEAVIEST OF SIGHS had tumbled past her lips as her body had been totally enveloped by the freezing cold temperatures of the lake. The water had washed over her warm, sweat-coated skin, soaking her clothes and sticking them to her body. She wasn't sure what had driven her to enter the lake fully clothed though as she waded further out in the large body of water, Nola found herself not caring.

Quickly she learned that as her body submerged beneath the waters, all of her senses filled significantly. All she saw in front of her was a blurry depth of darkness while her hearing had faded out, turning from a cacophony of sounds into nothing but a muffled silence. It was calm, peaceful. She was provided with a moment's reprieve from that shitty, all looming voice that was a constant in her ears and from the thoughts of betrayal that were etched into her brain.

Nola had stayed there, relishing in the silence that had been vacant from her life for oh so long until she could no more, until she needed to resurface and allow a breath of fresh oxygen to flow through to her lungs. Her body had floated atop the surface of the lake as the sun shone down.

            Only when the air grew colder and the sky began to darken did Nola reemerge from the lake, her clothes soaked through and clinging to her body and her bare feet scraping against the rocks. Her gaze had been downcast, eyes locked upon the ground with each step she took as she returned to the cabin.

            The faint sound of chatter reached her ears, growing louder the closer to the cabin she got. Her stomach had turned queasy at the thought of facing everyone, having to plaster on a fake smile and pretend that everything was okay when it just wasn't.

            The sound of Jackie's voice pulled the Rilke girl from her thoughts. "Hey, where've you been? You've—" Jackie fell silent as she took in the drenched appearance of her best friend. Confusion laced her words as she questioned, "Why are you all wet?"

            Nola just shrugged. "I was down by the lake."

            "And you fell in?" Jackie retorted jokingly. A small chuckle left her lips while she spoke, the girl totally oblivious to the sadness that swam around within Nola's hazel eyes.

            Nola returned the chuckle weakly as her head shook from side to side and water dripped from her hair and down her back. "No, I just felt like going for a swim. Needed to cool off, I guess." She simply responded as she moved to sit down on one of the logs.

The Taylor girl looked after her feeling quite perplexed by the odd feeling that resonated from Nola though her attention was soon captured by the joyous yell of Van as she exclaimed, "Oh my god, meat! Fuck yeah!"